What can I do about the tornado in my house?

I clean the house, she whirlwinds through it. I clean it again, the same happens. I don't know what to do about my daughter and how to keep my house clean when she is SO insistent upon making it a mess. She turns 3 on the 21st of this month and I'm not sure what to do. PLEASE HELP. What are your suggestions?
Thanks!

lovetoteachec

Asked by lovetoteachec at 3:13 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• She is old enough to start helping. My boys are a bit older, but when they were around 3-4 I started asking for help picking up toys and if they flat out refused to help I picked them up and put them away for the day in a seperate room, less toys to clean up later if they dont help, ya know? Make it fun though, maybe she will help out. It is hard to stop the mess, but if youcan gt her to learn that she needs to help before she plays with something else it may help.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 3:18 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• omg if u find an answer LET ME KNOW GIRL.the biggest investment is get a big tall cabinet to stack all her toys,put the ones will multiple parts @ the top!! and her faves at the bottom..my 3 yr old (in may) has to many toys i have to cycle between them,i pack half of her toy chest in a bag and then switch them up every couple of mo and see what toys she looses interest in and pack them for my 4 mo old to use soon.
    mamacita4two

Answer by mamacita4two at 4:23 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I don't know, but please don't send her over here - we have our own tornadoes to deal with! :)

We keep lots of containers on hand for the small stuff, and a couple of big toy boxes. My kids are four and two, and both help when it's "clean up time". I set a timer and they race around putting things away before it goes off. The other reply is right - you have to keep it fun. Just lead by example in the beginning. As your cleaning up, say "Honey, give mommy that doll. We need to put her away. Let's keep it nice and clean." I think she'll enjoy being your "shadow".
    Anonymous

• LOL....I have FOUR tornadoes. One sounds great!...LOL
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 5:51 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Duct tape her to the wall?
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:37 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• At that age I began making my daughter put whatever toy she was playing with away before she got a new one out. Its a battle that I'm glad I picked, because our days are SO much easier now! She just understands that this is something that is expected of her. When she was 3.5, she threw the biggest tantrum over our rule. I told her firmly that I was going to leave the room, and if her legos were not put away when I came back in 10 minutes, they were going to goodwill.

Well, the legos were still out when I came back, and I packed them up and took them out to the car. Thats the last time she ever refused to follow that rule.
    flower_momma

Answer by flower_momma at 9:11 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• My daughters (7, 4, 2) have to help me clean up. Their baby sitter taught them a song "Everybody clean up, clean up....(i don't know the rest). It seems to help a little. I also tell them that if they refuse to help me, every toy I have to pick up off the floor they will never see again. I have actually had to do that a couple of times, but usually they are pretty keen to not lose their toys forever.
    Whatever you decided to do - good luck.
    ~B~
    mommyonetheedge

Answer by mommyonetheedge at 10:01 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• She's old enough to know the rules that have been established in the home...if she messes anything up, she's responsible for picking it up and putting it back in it's place. Be consistent in it and eventually she'll learn...
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 3:44 PM on Mar. 11, 2009