My daughter just turned one. We are trying to switch her to a sippy cup. Some days she will take just the sippy and the next she won't take it at all and just wants her bottle. Do I just take her bottle away completly? That just sounds so mean and cruel. HELP!!

jamielea1979

Asked by jamielea1979 at 3:26 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Be casual about it- don't behave as if you are concerned. How about giving her milk only in the sippy and water in the bottle?

Answer by Bmat at 3:29 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I know it sounds mean but I would just take the bottle away completely. Don't even let her see it! Just tell her the bottle went bye bye.... No more bottle....She will eventually forget all about the bottle and pick up the sippy! :) Good luck!
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 3:30 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Yes. Since she knows you still have the bottle, and that gives her comfort, she would rather have what she has known for the past year. It isn't cruel to take the bottle away, though. It is just another milestone that she is encountering as she is growing up!
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 3:30 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I think you should offer the sippy cup everyday, but give her the bottle if she wants it. Ideally you should stop the bottle at one year , but with my kids they needed a couple months to adjust to the change. They were 15-17 months when we finally got rid of the bottle all together. It also matters how they go to sleep at night. You should not be rocking her to sleep w/ bpttle, & giving the bottle at night will "train" her to get up for one in the middle of the night. Don't worry she'll get used to the sippy cup before you know it, & check out all the different types of cups. Good Luck!!!
    mimers80

Answer by mimers80 at 3:34 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• My son loved to drink out of straws so I bought the spill proof cups with the straw and started putting his milk in it . He never once asked for his bottle. Then I eventually started adding in the regular sippy cup but he was off his bottle in a couple days after his first birthday.
    TippyW

Answer by TippyW at 3:56 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• You have to judge what's best for your child. This push of "OFF THE BOTTLE BY ONE!!!!" has gotten out of hand. It's a guideline to ensure that toddlers are learning to use a cup. Yours is learning to use a cup so don't stress over the occasional bottle. This is NOT a developmental issue. As long as she has clean teeth when she falls asleep, no problem. As long as the bottle is gone by 4, no problem (check out the ADA website if you don't believe me.)

You can throw them all out and just let her scream. Some kids don't scream at all, some get over it in a few days, some are still screaming weeks later.

You can keep letting her experiment with it and work it out for herself.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:07 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Kaycee14 is right, this idea that every child should fit into this cookie cutter system is ridiculous. If you were breastfeeding you'd be expected to do it until she's age 4! But God forbid she's on a bottle - you must get her off it at 12 months? PLEASE!
    My oldest threw her bottle at me once she got the hang of the sippy cup - she was a big girl she said "don't need it" and she never wanted it again. My second would still be using the bottle if I hadn't gotten tired of it. I did what the first post said, when she was around 17 months I put water in it only. By 18 months we were good to go - no more bottle. But don't go by what my children did, your child may want the bottle up to age 2 and if you feel that she needs it or you want her to have it, don't listen to anyone. Keep those teeth clean and you'll be fine.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 4:44 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• YES! Thank you Kaycee....I am SO tired of hearing this "rule" about being off the bottle at 1 and COMPLETELY potty trained by 2. (my peeves). Let the child work it out on their own. If she is really being compliant, then she will get it. I let my son have his until he was 2 and then it was a non issue. Same with passy. I don't care how it looks to others.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 5:47 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Go, kaycee14! I think it's because as first-time mothers we want to be perfect and someone in a book said get off the bottle at 12 mos, which we personally couldn't do. (PS-we introduce sippies at 7 or 8 months, so he got it.) But the bottle is just as comforting to a bottle-fed child as a breast is to a breast-fed child. It is a matter of bonding and nurturing and each child is different. I just answered a question regarding a mother who was breast-feeding still at 19 mos, and the question had nothing to do with weaning, so I'm guessing that may not be coming anytime soon. I'd give her the sippy, but also her bottle. As for us, he is still on the bottle (dr recommended it) and he'll be 2 this month. He also doesn't take a paci, and it helps his cutting teeth in. After all his teeth are in (4 more to go) he'll probably ditch it on his own. So do what feels right for you and your baby. They are only babies a short time! :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 7:21 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I gradually took the bottle away beginning around 13 months. I began by replacing daytime bottles with a sippy. I still gave a bottle in the morning and before bed. I then cut out the bedtime bottle and lastly the morning one. For a couple weeks he drank less milk that usual, it seemed he preferred it out of his bottle, but I kept up with giving the sippy and no more bottle and now he drinks like a champ from a sippy (now 16 mo). Also at his 15 month the Dr. said he only needed 16-20 oz of milk per day, so my son was actually drinking plenty. Like the above said....do what's best for her...no rush.
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 7:59 PM on Mar. 9, 2009