What do I do if i see another kid kicking or hitting my kid?

I was at the mall a couple weeks ago and took my kid to the play area. There was a kid there who was a couple years older. I didn't know where his parents were, they weren't in the play area to keep a close eye on him. And he kicked my daughter. He also kept pushing other kids half his size around. What should I do when I see something like that? I stepped up for my daughter, but if a kid keeps doing it and I can't find his parents anywhere should I step up and stop him?

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 3:27 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• Remove your child from the situation and sternly but politely tell the other child what they are doing is wrong and then inform the parents...POLITELY. If it happends again then teach your child to kick some butt.
    Anonymous

• ofcourse! don't get phisical, just tell him he can't do that!
    Anonymous

• Heck yeah! I do the same thing. The park right by my house has older kids all the time coming up there alone, when I say older I mean 6-10 years old. (not old enough in my opinion) I will step in in a heartbeat if they are picking on other kids, I have told them to go get their mom's before if they dont want me to tell them what to do. Of corse they dont cause they dont want to be in trouble either. But yeah, it is your responsibility to step in and keep your kids safe.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 3:31 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Absolutely.

I am a BIG FAN of disciplining other people's kids - I have no problem with it AT ALL.

We went to Chuck E Cheese (aka fifth ring of hell) and there were kids just running WILD and climing all over the rides - one kid tried to climb into the pop-a-shot! I told him "No bub, get down" and he did.

When it comes to safety, I act the way I would want other parents to act - keep the kids safe! Worried about bruised egos later!
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 3:33 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I was just baffled because there were a dozen other parents there and clearly this kid was pushing other kids around. And no one was saying anything. I think I was the only one who stood up for my kid when he kicked her. I dunno. Some people need to be a little more responsible with their kids. Specifically the ones that bully other kids.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 3:35 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• If you're in a mall play area, remove your child from the situation and then contact security if the parents are not there - they will need to handle a child who is not following the rules posted and they can deal with the parents.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 3:41 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I am laughing while reading your question as the same thing happened to my little girl many, many years ago when I went to collect her from the nursery. I didn't react like I would do today I have to say..and I am a little ashamed of my reaction but here goes.
    I had just walked the two miles to collect my daughter from nursery. It was hot, I was hot and wasn't looking forward to the return trip knowing I would have to make my daughter walk most of the way home too. As I went to the play ground to find her, I heard her screaming and crying "Stop it, you're hurting me". Now whether it was because I heard her screams or I was just hot a bothered I don't know but when I turned the corner and saw some nasty little boy who had her trapped in a play telephone box just laying into her, I immediately approached him from behind, spun him around and screamed "What the hell do you think you're doing?". His immediate reaction was to stop.
    Grammy066

Answer by Grammy066 at 3:53 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• GO Grammy!

I can totally see the mother bear.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 3:56 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Thanks Wimsey - Looking back I think I would do the same. I am the same with my own grand Children. I do not let them away with anything. It's a shame more parents don't step up to the plate to discipline their own kids but then wonder why their kids aren't liked by anyone!
    I belief in discipline - never hurt me when I was a kid and boy did I get it if I did wrong - no matter where I was or who was there. My Mum and Dad stood for no nonsense.
    My grand children are so well behaved when they are with my and their Mum! It's when they get with my daughters family all hell lets loose.
    Grammy066

Answer by Grammy066 at 4:04 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Look around for the parent and then STOP him. Be polite but stop him and if the parent says something, tell them he's kicking and pushing others and you won't sit around and watch it.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:07 PM on Mar. 9, 2009