Q about breastfeeding and milk coming in..

So my breasts have just started to produce milk? or castrum (cant think of the word right now sorry)

and there really isnt alot coming out at all..is there a way to help my breast produce more because i plan on breastfeeding my daughter for a year....and i dont want a low supply of it

MissKellee

Asked by MissKellee at 3:32 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Its colostrum. Your milk will come in 3-5 days after birth. Its very different from colostrum. You will definitely know and so will your DH.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 3:34 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• milk will start caming in after labor, don't worry yourself...
    Albi1623

Answer by Albi1623 at 3:34 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• You're still pregnant, yes? No worries, your milk will come in sometime around the 3rd day after you give birth. It's not supposed to come in sooner than that. In those first days, colostrum is all baby needs. Have you had problems with low supply in the past? It is actually way less common than people believe.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 3:35 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• "... and so will your DH."

Farrahann, you're answer made me lol...
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 3:36 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• When my DH saw my BF boobs for the first time he was in shock, he was pretty silly about it.

Stimulating your breast could induce labor or so I've heard. When the baby is born just nurse on demand and don't supplement formula and you'll be fine. Also there should be an LC at the hospital.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 3:39 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• do u think i wont have enough to colostrum for the first couple of days?
    MissKellee

Answer by MissKellee at 3:40 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• There isn't supposed to be a lot until after your baby is born. The best thing to do before your baby is born is read up on breastfeeding so that you know as much as possible. There is nothing else helpful you can do until you give birth. Even the birth is important, a vaginal birth without meds is better for breastfeeding than one with meds, which is better than a c-section. Of course, sometimes those choices are taken out of our hands. After birth, the most important thing is to avoid formula. The second day will be hard, because baby will be starting to want a little more, and it's likely that the milk won't be in yet. Just feed often, it'll encourage your milk to come in, and baby will get enough. But I've always found the second day (and third and fourth with my first), to be a little frustrating, because it feels like you're always nursing, all day. But it does get better.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 3:44 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• You'll have enough colostrum. The problem is, you may not feel like you do. And you may have to feed VERY frequently to satisfy your baby. But a baby can survive off of colostrum for like a week, if they have to. Depending on the baby, they'll start getting really cranky about it around day 3 -5, though, but most women's milk comes in by then, and frequent nursing helps that happen faster. If you supplement, it'll probably take longer, leading to more supplementing, it's kind of a vicious circle.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 3:50 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Colostrum is much thicker and your baby doesn't need much the first few days. Just get a boppy pillow and nurse as much as possible. Get some good shows on tivo.

About colostrum. http://www.llli.org/FAQ/colostrum.html
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 4:02 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Your baby doesn't really even need to eat much for the first few days. Your milk will come in after a few days of just BFing your baby the colostrum you're producing. With my first two children, my milk came in around 3 days post-partum. With my 3rd, it came in the day after she was born. No worries, it's probably not a concern. Most women are fully capable of BFing and have plenty of milk.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 4:23 PM on Mar. 9, 2009