Son doesn't want to be in a big boy bed.

We dropped our sons crib down to a toddler bed a few months after his 2nd birthday. He would take a 2-3 hour nap almost everyday. He stopped because he refused to stay in the bed. Then it would take us at least an hour to get him to bed at night because he would cry histerically and keep climbing out. We finally put him back in the crib because we were all getting too stressed out. Now what do I do and how do I know when he is ready for a big boy bed?

TippyW

Asked by TippyW at 3:33 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Can you lower the bed and still have bars on it? Then lower the bars so that he can climb out? Perhaps lowering the bars would make him more comfortable, and lowering the bed make it safer for when he does climb out. I am suggesting this because you said you dropped the crib down to the toddler bed. What worked for my older son was to move him to his twin bed, with the bed against the wall, and the crib pushed up next to the bed so he could see the bars, but he could still climb out of the lower part of the bed. This was an easy way to wean him off of the crib.

Answer by Bmat at 3:37 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• My daughter is 31 months and vastly prefers her crib. We have both a toddler bed and her crib in her room and let her choose which to sleep in. She has taken ONE nap in her bed. She's just not mentally ready to give up what has been a comforting "friend" for her entire life. There is no rush. The weight limit on most cribs is 50 pounds. Find out what yours is. And let him be until he is ready to take this big leap for himself.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:02 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Keep in mind that some cribs have a height limit, too.

We put the boys in a regular bed at 15 months. We tried converting their crib...didn't work. They did nothing but lay there and scream until we put the side back on.

Put them in a regular bed, took the crib down (out of sight, out of mind) and that was it. Only our youngest gave us fits with having to put him back in bed...repeatedly. But after a couple of weeks he stayed and now he doesn't even get out of bed in the mornings until we come to get him.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:47 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Our 23 m/o has learned to climb in & out of his crib, (very safely I might add, has never fallen (so far -- knock on wood) so we thought he was ready for the big boy bed that has always been in his room. I tried to get him to sleep in it, but so far he wants to be in the crib. I guess he just feels safer or more comfortable with it. So we will wait for the move. I do like the first poster's suggestion of putting the crib by the bed and think that is a great compromise if he goes for it. Will keep that in mind for later, right now I am leaving him where he is.

PS-Ticcledblue, You are right about the height limit, but that's probably assuming the infant is tall and wobbly, not a toddler and very agile! LOL!wink mini

doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 7:12 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I don't think that there is any rush to put him into a big boy bed. Some kids just feel comfortable in what they know. My son is 26 months and still in his crib. He is quite content and I do not plan on moving him out until he is closer to 3. He sleeps well in his crib so why would I move him out of it. Don't rush it. If he is sleeping well in his crib and finds comfort in it just leave him in it. Also if he does keep climbing out they do have crib tents. That might be an alternative to moving him out.
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 8:31 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• My kids both moved from crib to toddler bed around 2 1/2yo...if they wanted to stay longer it would have been fine by me : ) Honestly staying in the crib is fine as long as they aren't trying to climb out- the falling is what is dangerous. Like pp said check weight limit on crib- if he is within that and happy- don't worry about it.
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 8:39 PM on Mar. 9, 2009