Does anyone have a child around 14 months and has breathholding spells?

I really need some advice and would like to chat w/ someone who is going through this. Please contact me through cafemom or through my regular e-mail
buttonfamily@frontiernet.net

cuteasabutton78

Asked by cuteasabutton78 at 3:36 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son did the whole caught breath, turn grey, stiff thing. He also would posture and pull his arms up by his shoulders and eyes would roll back in his head. But, no little puff of air to the face would stop him. We tried that and scream his name and jerk him. But, sometimes I could only wait. You couldn't pry his mouth open to breath for him. He only did it like 5 times. I called 911 once cause it was lasting for a few minutes. I was told it might have been a seizure disorder that he grew out of.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:17 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• My son is now 16 y.o., but when he was younger he held his breath, it was so scary. I asked the Dr.s about it several times trying to figure out how to make him stop, and unfortunately the only thing they could tell me was that if he held his breath to the point of passing out he would start breathing again.
    I hope you can find more support and help.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 3:42 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• When you say breath holding, like purposlly to get their way? Ignore it the more reaction & attention you give it the more your child will use it. That's funny, this must be a very intelligent kid. Good luck w/ that one!!!
    mimers80

Answer by mimers80 at 3:47 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• My son doesn't do it for attention, he starts crying due to being hungry, tired, has gotten hurt, etc.
    Once he starts crying it's like he gets stuck and can't breath, he turns dark blue/purple and his body goes stone stiff and his eyes roll back in his head.
    The last thing that it is is "funny".
    My son has been doing this since an early age and can't control it, he does not do it to get his own way.
    After he takes a breath, finally, he seems very sleepy and just lays there for 3-5 minutes to recoop.
    Sometimes his back arches and his arms and legs quiver!
    cuteasabutton78

Answer by cuteasabutton78 at 4:00 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• My son really doesn't do this to the point where it is severe. When he gets upset, it's almost like he gets "stuck" for a second before he can take another breath. My doctor says what when they do that blow a puff of air abruptly in their face. It startles them into taking a breath. I've done it and it seems to work.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 4:05 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• My mom told me I did that when I was little. She said what the doctor said to her and makes sense is...if they pass out they start breathing lol
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 4:44 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• If they're doing it on purpose its for attention. As odd as this may sound just ignore it. If your LO passes out, they'll start to breathe again and (sometimes) wake up with a mild headache. After a while they'll figure out its no fun and stop. I did the same thing as a kid...after the third headache, yeah I gave it up LOL!
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 5:19 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I had a friend years ago who had a 15 m/o who had breath-holding spells. She took him to the dr. several times scared that something was wrong. He told her to be calm and to just make sure that wherever he was going to fall when he passed out that he wasn't going to get hurt, (like away from coffee tables, etc.) otherwise she was to ignore it. With that said, I don't see anything in your question that says that you have been to the dr. and regardless of if 100 other people said what I just said, I would verify with the dr. that there was nothing wrong with MY child first.

It is a very scary experience watching your child lose consciousness, and my heart goes out to you!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 7:03 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• my dd does that i used to think that it was on purpose but after her turning blue i quickly found out she wasnt now all i have to do is when it happens blow into her mouth or nose and she starts breathing again doc said thats all you really can do
    bugbug07

Answer by bugbug07 at 9:29 PM on Mar. 9, 2009