Vitamins for breast fed babys!?!?

My ped put my daughter on them. And ever since it seems like it is backing her up...and making it harder for her to go. They put her on them so she can get more vitamin D. Has any one else had this problem!??!

Amanduh87

Asked by Amanduh87 at 3:37 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You don't have to give those to her. Just get her out in the sun for a few minutes 2 or 3 times a week and she'll have plenty of vitamin D. My ped only recommends vitamins for bf infants if baby is housebound for some reason (for example, the existence of January in the northeastern part of the country... lol). If you do want to stick with the vitamins, do the trivisol, not the polyvisol. The iron in the polyvisol (if that's what you're using) may be causng the constipation.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 3:40 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• If she is breatfed, the best thing would be for you to take vitamins so she can get them through your milk. It's not going to harm you in anyway ever if you take more than usual because everything you and your breast milk don't use will go down the drain in your urine, but it will fortify your breast milk. I don't think that I would give my 9 mo old vitamins if she couldn't go when she took them. She'll get enough from you if you take the vitamins yourself.
    jem01b

Answer by jem01b at 3:42 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• My ped put my daughter on Poly-visol (spelling?) and I thought it stopped her up too. Turns out, it wasn't the vitamins, she just wasn't pooping as much for a while (we were predominately breastfeeding). I think it was just a coincidence that she pooped less as we started the vitamins, but I did try everything to help her go, even glycerin suppositories! When she did go though, it wasn't hard which means she wasn't stopped up. My daughter hated taking the vitamin because it tasted like crap and fought me every time so I stopped giving them to her. She's really and healthy and eats a vast array of foods at one years of age so I'm not worried about it. Hope this helps.
    colleenbailey

Answer by colleenbailey at 3:43 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Some pediatricians prescribe vitamins for breastfed babies by default because they just do not know better.
    They're completely unecessary.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 4:00 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Sometimes they have Iron in them just go to the pharmacy at your local grocery store and they can special order ones that dont have Iron in them. I give the vitamins to my baby and there the non iron ones he doesnt get backed up. They only cost like 5 dollars.
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 4:54 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I didn't put my daughter on them. I just got her into the sun for a little bit everyday. kellymom

ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 4:59 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• My ped suggested we give our son a vitamin D supplement when I was BFing.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 5:28 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• i agree with jem01b. just continue to take your prenatals and your baby will be fine.
    my ped suggested them to us as well, but i wanted to be sure not to put anything other than breastmilk in her gut if at all possible until 6 months. kellymom is a GREAT site for breastfeeding information.
    mfmom

Answer by mfmom at 7:42 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• breastmilk is all a baby needs. stop the vitamins. vit D comes from the sun. any natural vitamin is better than those artificial ones they give.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 11:28 PM on Mar. 9, 2009