How can I get my 21 mo old to stop using her bottle?

She will drink out of a sippy cup, but not milk that has to be in a bottle.

mamahildman3

Asked by mamahildman3 at 3:47 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Ignore the anonymous post. The guidelines are to ensure a child is learning to use a sippy cup. Yours does. So don't worry about the "off the bottle by 1 year" guideline.

Does she get a bottle at naptime and bedtime? If so, switch it to water only as a first step. That may be enough to get her to drop it. If not, try to get her to give it up for naptime and later for bedtime. Once it's only water in the bottle, her teeth are not at risk of cavaties. As long as the bottlee is gone by 4, she's not at risk of pushing her teeth out of place either.

If she doesn't get a bottle for sleep and it's just that she refuses milk any other way, see if you can try the "special cup" trick. It can be a special sippy cup, straw cup, or open cup. But see if you can get her to switch to drinking her milk out of this new "big girl milk cup".

And don't stress. She'll get there.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:59 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• at 21 months wow that's old. you should have stopped that at age 1?????
    Anonymous

• LOL I'm just going to cut and paste this:
    Kaycee14 is right, this idea that every child should fit into this cookie cutter system is ridiculous. If you were breastfeeding you'd be expected to do it until she's age 4! But God forbid she's on a bottle - you must get her off it at 12 months? PLEASE!
    My oldest threw her bottle at me once she got the hang of the sippy cup - she was a big girl she said "don't need it" and she never wanted it again. My second would still be using the bottle if I hadn't gotten tired of it. I did what the first post said, when she was around 17 months I put water in it only. By 18 months we were good to go - no more bottle. But don't go by what my children did, your child may want the bottle up to age 4 and if you feel that she needs it or you want her to have it, don't listen to anyone. Keep those teeth clean and you'll be fine.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 4:48 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I had a tough time with my daughter when she was around 12 months old in getting her to drink milk from her sippy. I had weaned her off her bottlespretty much cold turkey during the day and would give her one bottle at night before bed (brushed her teeth after). She refused milk in her sippy until I bought one with a soft spout like the Nubby brand offers. One day, out of the blue I offered this to her instead of the bottle and she drank the milk as if it were never a problem. It took a few times but she eventually accepted the change. She's now completely off the bottle by 14 months. All kids are different...try not to worry about conforming to "deadlines". She'll more than likely kick the habit when she's ready. Good luck!
    Beeziesmommy

Answer by Beeziesmommy at 6:44 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• If she can use a sippy cup, there is no need for the bottle. At her age, it's more of a habit than anything to use the bottle.

What *I* would do is just get rid of the bottles. Don't offer anything BUT milk in the sippy cup and stick with it. She will get thirsty and she will drink from the sippy cup.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:44 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• My daughter is 26 months and I just fully took the bottle away from so ignore anno. post! I think all kids are different. I went and bought those NUBY silocone top sippys and we call them babas I threw all of the bottles away and I still warm the milk up i these sippys. It work for now I hate taking something the soothes her so much. Good Luck!
    Tris_09

Answer by Tris_09 at 6:47 PM on Mar. 9, 2009