Checking out a new school

My son will be 5 next week and has never attended school. (if you're going to bash me for that, then just please stop reading and move on) He will be starting kindergarten in the fall. I just called the school he would be attending if we continue to live in this neighborhood, and asked if I could drop by one day this week for a little tour. The secretary seemed somewhat annoyed and told me to call back tomorrow to speak with someone else.
Is it wrong of me to want to check this school out? I might have the opportunity to move back to FL in the summer and the school my son would attend there is one of the best in that area. So if we stay here in NY, and I don't like this school, we might be able to move to a suburb here, if things work out between my husband and me.
I guess my question is does anyone think I'm totally out of line for wanting to check out my kids future school?

CookieMom108

Asked by CookieMom108 at 3:56 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think it is great that you are taking a proactive role in your childs schooling. If more parents cared about the schools that we are sending our children to, maybe the schools would be help more accountable.
    Bravo to you for taking the initiative, and no they should not be disgruntled about it. They should have an open door policy for things like this, even if it was a set time that they allowed these things so as to not disturb the rest of the class.
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 4:02 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• No...they should be welcoming you!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:58 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• No! They should be friendly, and caring, and WANT and WELCOME a new student at school! Maybe its just the secretary personally...
    Anonymous

• I also commend you for wanting to see your son's schooling options before enrolling him. I would do the same and plan on it when my son enters kindergarten! Good for you!
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 5:01 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• OMG! What school is this??? When we were deciding to enroll my oldest ds in school, we checked out schools... we weren't sure if we were going to enroll him in private or public school... So we called schools, and they were MORE than welcoming to have us come in and visit and see what the schools were all about, and give us a tour! We are in West Henrietta. I'm just gonna pm you.
    bupkie

Answer by bupkie at 5:46 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• No. The school should be welcoming, the secretary may have had a bad day or just a bad personality (I worked at a school like that). And although its your neighborhood school I'd check out all your options (not sure how NY works but in Fl there are areas with magnet schools and/or district varience to get a school closer to your job etc.etc.) so there is CHOICE even within public schools, you just gotta look for it.
    I'd def. go and check out the school (and more than once at diff hours too) and their policies on parent volunteer etc.etc.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 7:21 PM on Mar. 9, 2009