Do you want to spend as much time as possible with your kids? Or do you like it when they are away most of the day?

It seems like I am always listening to moms complain about days when their kids get home early from school, or when they have a day off from school. I work at an elementary school. Moms have actually said to me that when their kids get out early it RUINS their day! Just about every year now the schools in our community start earlier and end later. The kids are spending less and less time at home and more at school and that is what the parents want!! Moms here were fighting to have all day free daycare, oh sorry I mean kindergarten. It seems like that is what it really comes down to, free daycare. The longer the kids are in school the less the parents have to actually care for their children. The kids are not learning any more. The schools have to just add busy work whenever the school hours are extended. Can these moms really not like their kids? Why do they want to have less time with them??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:01 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• I like both. I love my children, love playing with them and being with them, but i also love nap time and Wednesdays when they go to my inlaws overnight. I'm a grown woman, not just a mom. I need time for the rest of my life too.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 4:03 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• By the way, my kids are homeschooled and I'm a sahm, so its not like I get a long break during the school day or anything.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 4:04 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• MommyAddie I am not talking about the occasional time away like once a week at the in laws, I mean all day, 5 days a week, 9 or 10 months a year.
    Anonymous

• I think working parents like the convenience of all day Kindergarten. I know I do plus my child is bored stiff playing games at home with me. That said, I don't shuffle him to camps, playdates, etc. When they are home we hang out and on the weekends it's all about family. That said, I've stayed home for six years now and when they go to school, I am happy.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:05 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I know what you mean OP. Every summer I here women complain about having their kids home and how they can't wait to get rid of them when August starts.
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 4:06 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• We homeschool also and I have no complaints. If anything, I think I would miss them if they had to be away from me for hours at a time. Not that I "keep them in a bubble", but I love the time we spend together.
    happy1mom

Answer by happy1mom at 4:29 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Perhaps it has more to do with the fact that we live in a two income society. It is hard to make ends meet with just one income. We also have a lot of single partents who have twice the problems anyway b/c they only have one income to start with. Add to that employers that are not "family friendly" and you have a recipe for disaster when it comes to kids. We works our butts off to be able to afford to take care of our kid, provide a home, insurance, food, etc. Then to have to take off work for holidays, early release, just to be home early enough for someone to be there b/c the babysitter can't, etc. It's not that people don't want to spend time with their kids. It's just hard a lot of time.

THat, of course, doesn't mean there aren't people out there who shouldn't be having kids, who realy do view them as an inconvience.
    Anonymous