I know I should alreadt know but can someone explain to me exactly what is stem cell research

and why its so controversial? I never did understand or even pay attention to what exactly it is so can someone explain to me please

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:08 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• There are two types of stem cells.
    Adult stem cells. These are found in every fetus, baby, child, and adult on the planet. They can be harvested by a variety of means that don't do permanent harm to the person.
    Embyonic stem cells. These are found in embroys. They are harvested by destroying the embryo. That's why they are so controversial.

Either can be used though adult stem cells are already being successfully used for treatments (bone marrow transplants being one). Embryonic stem cells have never been successfully used (so far).

In general, stem cells have the potential to become any other type of cell. The cells at the base of a strand of hair can only grow hair. A stem cell could become hair, skin, liver, heart, kidneys... anything. Imagine being able to regrow nerves, regrow missing limbs, replace damaged hearts. That's the promise and hope of the research. But do you kill someone else to do it?
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:16 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• The issue is embryonic stem cell research, with the emphasis on embryos being created specifically to be destroyed for it's stem cells. Which not one life has been proven to have been saved over this research. The issue today is that Obama reversed the ban on federal funds for the creation of embryo's for the purpose of destroying them. That was Bush's issue, not the issue of stem cell research in general. In fact, it is adult stem cells that are more beneficial and saving lives. Embryonic stem cells can be used for any organs, any tissues, there like generic cells that you can do anything with and that is why they are highly coveted by science. So just to emphasize, Bush never opposed stem cell research, only the creation of embryo's to destroy them.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 4:13 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I see okay so then why cant we get it from someone that is decesed? Like an organ donation or something, sorry I just really have so many questions about this whole thing so I can fully understand
    Anonymous

• Stem cells cannot be harvested from a dead person, stem cells are the very beginnings of a cell formation, they usually come from a bone source. And then start to grow and become mature, so no, no dead person can donate. But a person in a coma can donate adult stem cells if they are brain dead and the family wants to donate organs and stem cells. Which can be done over and over again as long as the person is alive.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 4:33 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Another attack on human babies by the creep in the White House.
    Don't bother with the attack that it is not a human life being destroyed because it is exactally that.
    It has never been said that the embryos being created in a lab has ever done any good for the cause; but, then why would the abortion president care that another murder is happening. He has no problem destroying and signing for the death of babies.
    I am in the medical field; so save the speech that a fetus, embryo, blob, cell or what ever you choose to call it; is not a baby...............it is human life period!
    bloodbought

Answer by bloodbought at 4:48 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Bush limited the use of taxpayer money to only the 21 stem cell lines that had been produced before his decision. He argued he was defending human life because days-old embryos _ although typically from fertility clinics and already destined for destruction _ are destroyed to create the stem cell lines.

The Obama order reverses that without addressing a separate legislative ban, which precludes any federal money for the development of stem cell lines. The legislation, however, does not prevent funds for research on those lines created without federal funding.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 4:48 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Bloodbought, I reject your claim that just because you are in the medical field you know when life begins. I am not claiming that I know either, but I certainly don't think your degree makes you privy to any special kind of knowledge on the subject.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 4:50 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Adult stem cells can come from many places in the body, including these:
    Skin
    Fat tissue
    Bone marrow
    Umbilical Cord Blood

One trial that I know of that is underway right now harvests stem cells from fat tissue with a liposuction type procedure, cleans the unwanted tissues (like fat) away, and injects the stem cells into the heart of someone undergoing bypass surgery. They have seen new blood vessels grow and the damaged heart muscle repair itself. Another trial underway is trying to fix stress incontinence in women.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:55 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Here's an idea for those who are so against it--get all of those frozen embryos implanted in YOUR uteruses..Go on now, Git..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Mar. 10, 2009