What do you look for in a daycare?

I have to start taking my daughter to daycare. She is almost 4 months old, I don't know anyone who takes their child to daycare so I don't know what exactly to look for. So I was just wondering what exactly should I be looking for?

xocyncyn

Asked by xocyncyn at 4:11 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I feel these are The Most important things:
    1) Find out what your states child to teacher ratio is and when you visit the classroom count heads.
    2) Visit unannounced. If they tell you you have to schedule a tour then go somewhere else. They should not have to prepare for your visit.
    3) Ask a lot of questions. Sanitary protocols. daily routines. Sick policies... If they have to hesitate or don't know the answers then try somewhere else. They should know their own policies back and front.
    4)Find out about teacher turn over. If it is often then you may not want your child there for consistencies sake. Plus if the school can't keep their teachers happy then something is wrong.
    5)If you happen to see a parent in the parking lot ask them if they mind telling you what they think of the facility. Most of them will be happy to share there likes and dislikes.
    6)Go with your gut if it doesn't feel right it probably isn't.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:29 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• There are a lot of good day cares out there though at first hey seem hard to find. I had to go through trial and error before I found the one I wanted to go with. No matter where you leave them expect there to be some anxiety from you and your child. It will soon become a normal part of both of your routines. Also remember that when you drop your baby off for the first time their will be tears most likely from you both but after you walk out the door and the day gets going you will both be fine and soon enough it will be time to head home!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:33 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• -General cleanliness
    -A provider who has no qualms about a parent showing up unannounced
    -Lots of planned daily activities
    -A standard schedule to follow (structure is big in my book)
    just to name a few
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 4:39 PM on Mar. 9, 2009