Hi everyone! I'm home now recovering from a hip replacement (yikes! I'm only 37) and my mom came 600 miles to take care of me and my family while I was laid up for nearly 4 weeks. I feel like I should do something for my mom -- any ideas?

Mom is recently retired and loves to do things, but hates to fly on a plane, so far-flung trips are out of the question

LoveyMomPA

Asked by LoveyMomPA at 4:25 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Relationships

• Set her up for a massage? Or some kind of day of beauty? Or a gift cert. to something she'd like?
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:27 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Yes, write her a poem. Tell her you love her, thank her and flatter her in some way. I know thats what I'd love to get from my child.
    Anonymous

• how about a spa?? I had Knee surgury and had 2 broken legs in the last few years. It would have been wonderfull if my Mom was still alive to help. Kids and DH were really bad!!! Enjoy the help!! Lucky gal!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 4:27 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Eddiable arrangements are cool.
    Anonymous

• Hmmm... so you're looking for something BIG for her? Let's see... you could buy her maid service or laundry service for a year (or however long makes sense). You could pay to have a room in her home redecorated especially for her. You could hire a landscaper to do up her yard and garden this spring. Just a few big ideas...
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 4:29 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I would take her out to dinner is she is still there with you and spend some one on one time with her. Or maybe have your kids make her some going away gifts! I have found that anything and made and from the heart is a winner every time :)
    JandAddysMom

Answer by JandAddysMom at 4:30 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Oh my goodness! I hope you have a smooth recovery and feel much better soon. How wonderful of your mother to help out. Perhaps a season subscription to plays in her home town- at the college or other playhouse. Or if you want to spend more money, Gift certificates for enough for a couple meals at several of her favorite restaurants, or even just one restaurant in her hometown. Those edible arrangements that anon mentioned are great- beautiful and very tasty, although a lot for one or two people to eat. They are nicer, I think, than a flower arrangement.

Answer by Bmat at 4:36 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I'm a grandmother and help my kids all the time. We do it from the heart and don't expect anything for it but when they do I get more use out of a Walmart gift card (where I can buy anything I want that I might not buy for myself- hence my new recumbent bike I could never save up for!) or the restaurant gift card is greatly appreciated. Right now I'd love if one of my kids had my car fixed for me! lol

Answer by admckenzie at 6:16 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Most people who have an active lifestyle heals faster after a hip replacement surgery. After six weeks, people who are physically fit can have full motion of the hips. Some are even permitted to drive by their surgeons or therapists.

CatRus09

Answer by CatRus09 at 4:05 PM on Feb. 17, 2012

• The most crucial part of a hip surgery is the post operation care, its nice to know that your mom was  there for you during your recovery period. I suggest   that a  dinner  would be perfect and for you telling her that you love her and you would do the same for her when she grows very old would be the best gift you can give her, nothing can ever replace your time and presence. You may also visit DePuy

pinnaclelawsuit

Answer by pinnaclelawsuit at 11:49 AM on Feb. 27, 2012