What is the best infant thermometer?

available at retail stores, what brand for accuracy?

SF49er

Asked by SF49er at 4:38 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just get a regular thermometer but label it specifically because with a baby you have to take the temperature in the bum. SO like at my house we have a blue and an orange one: Blue for bum orange for oral. Dont do the ear ones because there not as accurate, I have one it it ranges from being cold dead at 95 degrees to being burning up dead at 15 degrees. Stick with the bum!
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 4:51 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Our doctor told us to get the temporal scan thermometer. They are about $30 at Walmart and you just run it over the baby's head. Most doctors actually use these in their office now. It is very accurate and I love it!

DDry

Answer by DDry at 5:16 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• ArmyWife is right, the absolute best is an old fashioned rectal thermometer.
    I had all sorts of trouble with several different electronic ones giving false readings. My doctor finally told me to throw them out and get an old fashioned one.

And in case you are wondering, they do NOT contain mercury. They haven't for years.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:22 PM on Mar. 9, 2009