What should I do about my neighbors?

I live in a neighborhood where the houses are about 9 or 10 feet apart. Yesterday my next door neighbors were spraying something on the rocks outside their home. It was maybe an insecticide or weed killer. It smelled very strong and very bad. After about 5 minutes of smelling it I started to develop a headache and it got worse and worse the longer the smell stayed around. The smell was everywhere in my house, there was not a room I could go to get away. It got so bad my husband and I took our toddler and baby in my car and left. We stayed gone for over five hours. As soon as we got away from the smell my headache went away. My belief is that if you can smell it then you are probably inhaling the chemicals. I have two small kids, one is only 3 month old and they know this. Should I tell them what the chemicals did to our family and ask them to not do it again? They are not nice people and have never even said "Hi" back to us.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:43 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Home & Garden

• If they're not very nice, I wouldn't. First, it's their property, and so really, fair to everyone else or not, they can do what they want on it. Second, even if they couldn't do it, if they're not nice people, you're just going to get a fight going that you don't want. Do you own your home? If you're just renting, maybe think about looking for a new place. Were your windows open? Maybe see about getting a mask, perhaps from a medical supply store, that you guys can wear if they do it again. I don't know how much it would help, but it might help some. Good luck!
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:06 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• go down to your local township hall or police dept.. ask some questions regarding such type chemicals being allowed ...
    Have you tried to talk to your neighbors? Maybe trying to open a communication channel with them may help, maybe they don't realize just how much the fumes may have bothered others..
     otherwise your opitions maybe limited... also go talk to your local fire dept chief... see if there is chemical usuage limits in your area...

good luck...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 6:12 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• If you live in a deed restricted community you could have a nice write-up put in the next newsletter or see if the board suggests any action you may take. I don't think talking to them directly about it will help if you normally don't talk to them.
    blogginmomma

Answer by blogginmomma at 11:29 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• If they don't say hi back then how do you know they are not nice? it only means they are not openly friendly to strangers. Have hubby go talk to them. Men know how to handle that sort of stuff.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:36 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I think it'd be hard to ask them not to do that, but I think it'd be fair to ask them to give you sufficient warning that they will be spraying chemicals to give you an opportunity to make plans away from your home.
    BethLopez

Answer by BethLopez at 11:49 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• That's unfortunate. I know where we live, using pesticides and insecticides has been banned. So even though our lawn might not be the greenest, my kids can play freely and I need not worry about them ingesting something toxic. I am also very sensitive to strong smells/scents and prone to headaches so I can sympathize. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be too much you can do in this case...
    mamacitax4

Answer by mamacitax4 at 2:32 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• There is an ordinance in our area that states that anyone treating their yard or lawn with chemicals, either through a company or doing it themselves, must post a notice in their front yard at least 3 days prior to treating and the sign must state what they are going to use. If anybody protests them spraying, then they cant do it. If they spray without prior notice and someone gets sick, then they have to pay a fine. Maybe you should check and see if your area has a similar ordinance? Other than that, I don't think there is anything you can do about it unless you can prove they're over-spraying into your yard and it damaged your property (but that would involve small claims court and you'd need at least a video of them spraying into your yard to prove damages).
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:42 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I would ask them what they sprayed because it made you sick. You have a right to know what you are breathing. If they refuse to tell you, then ask an officer to assist you.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:06 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• If you have a water sprinkler you can turn on the sprinkler when they spray and I am sure you can angle it to go into their yard also. They can't complain because their odor from the spray comes into your yard.
    Scorpio359

Answer by Scorpio359 at 12:25 AM on Mar. 13, 2009