Why do WE have to pay for stem cell research?

I am not asking whether or not it is moral and if it should be done. I am asking why the government has to pay for it, which means our tax dollars will pay for it. The drug companies that are able to take the progress science makes through stem cell research and cure diseases are the one who will make BILLIONS of dollars from these cures, not us. More money than I can even imagine. Why don't the drug companies continue to use stem cell research to find cures? Why does the government have to have control of everything?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:50 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• You are kidding right? It's called payback time for liberals. Your tax dollars are now going to go to embryonic stem cell research whether you have moral discrepancies with it or not. Just like your tax dollars are going to family planning, abortions, and abortions not in this country.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 4:57 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• because Obama said so.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 4:57 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Why does the government have to have control of everything?
    **You should ask
    When will the government control everything?
    Answer,
    Sooner than you'd like.
    akinbottom2

• Keep in mind, not one life has been saved due to embryonic stem cell research. Not one.
    But you're paying for it now, whether it's been proven to be a worthy cause OR NOT.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 4:58 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Same reason we have been paying for corporate welfare for years. Or to subsidize big oil. Or for unnecessary wars.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 5:04 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• It's a beautiful complicated system... let me give you an example.
    The researcher company gives a member of Congress say... $1000 to help pass a bill. The bill of course, offers the research company $100,000 of tax payers money. So Congress hands over tax payers money in exchange for a little bit of money to call there own. Of course the numbers are much bigger than this- it's just an example. Congress doesn't care because it's not their money they are handing out- it's our money. And Americans don't care because we are made to believe that taxes are just a part of life. We fail to see the taxes put on phones, utilities, fuel, etc. We don't even realize that inflation is also a tax. If your average American woke up and realized what they were paying in taxes, there would be a revolution tomorrow. Or at least new members in Congress.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 5:11 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Because Barry said "I WON" ..."I TRUMP YOU"
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 5:11 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Thank you, Erica Smerica, beautifully illustrated !
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 5:20 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Lots of research programs are funded by grants from the federal government. Not all research is done at big, private companies. The bulk of it is actually done at Universitites. Once something has proven that it has possibilities, the big companies may pick it up. But until then, it's just researchers at places like UCLA and Stanford. And no, student tuition does NOT pay for those programs.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:33 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I am disgusted I have to pay for the destruction of human life in the name of research. So far the research with adult stem cells and stem cells in cord blood have given more positive results than what has been tested with embryonic stem cells. Most tests have lead to cancer as an end result. Seems they should go with what is promising instead of pouring money into something that has not been. I guess this is once again about ending the life of a human for someone else's benefit. So sad.

Anonymous