Are teens addicted to texting?

My teenager daughter is always texting or checking for texts. We limit the time on her cell but when she has it - it becomes an extension of her. I foresee alot of problems with this am I over-reacting and should accept this generation's way of communicating?

korijo

Asked by korijo at 4:53 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• In think it is just part of communication with this generation. I remember writing notes to friends, and finally getting my own phone around 15 years old, or otherwise, spending hours on my parents phone. I think it is important that they have other activities - no spending literally all their time on the phone or PC - and manners (no texting during dinner, studying, etc.) but it really is just part of the new generation. I work in IT (I'm 46), and even the 25 and 30 year olds use chat s/w (like MSN)... and even the company is ok with it... its just how they communicate, even between our company and our customers. And some of the most successful people I know are constantly on FB on the Blackberry. I'm beginning to think that texting is actually a skill for one's future....
    PhillyinFrance

Answer by PhillyinFrance at 5:33 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Are you kidding? That's all they do!
    Anonymous

• I had to pay to put a restriction on my SD phone. She goes wild wasting her texts....

Hi
    What are you doing
    Nothing
    Me either
    I'm bored
    blah blah blah blah blah

It takes them like 50 texts to say one sentence!
    Anonymous

• Then there is "chain texting". They get a text that says something stupid like: If you don't forward this text to 30 people in 10 minutes something real bad will happen to you. So they send it to 30 people wasting more texts.

It's all crap and they LOVE it!!!
    Anonymous

• You should be "over-reacting". Teens don't need to be texting so much. I am so tired of this texting thing. I had texting disabled on my phone so I don't get them anymore. If you want to talk to me, use that phone you are texting me with and call me. I am a young-ish Mom (mid-20's) and I cannot stand all this texting crap. These kids today don't know how to talk...all they do is text each other in their own little shorthand. Gosh, our country is doomed when they are old enough to take over.
    Anonymous

• i looove texting ..do it all day long lol hate me!
    Anonymous

• IDK many teens, but I think that very well could be. Just yesterday, I was leaving the checkout line at a store and found myself unable to move around a young girl who was walking very slow. Upon closer inspection, she had a phone in front of her face and her fingers were working like mad.
    I see that a lot.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 5:10 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Look around ladies, it is not just a teen thing anymore. Alot of people in general do it, esp since in a lot of places it is illegal to drive and talk on the phone people either buy blue tooths, which does not really solve that problem, or worse they text in their lap so they think passing cops wont see them talking while driving.
    Personally My teens wont have cell phones until they have jobs to pay for it themselves and if my only concern was that my teen texted too much I would praise them for their concentration in text, not sex.
    sebct0607

Answer by sebct0607 at 5:18 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Yes, they are. My teen couldnt go one day. Her phone charger wasn't working and my mom had one at her house so my daughter wanted to drive 45 min to her house to get one. We ended up seeing her the next day and she went home with her to spend the night because she wanted that damn phone charged. Whatever...the only rule we have is that she be accountable to WHOM shes communicating with and at the appropriate times. No cells allowed in church, at family functions and after certain times at night. I do text some..but not like she does.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 6:06 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Yes, That is all they do..

Also, make sure you read the text messages to make sure you know what is being text...

You are not being a noisy parent..

You will be a concern parent..

We all have to know whats going on or whats being said by our children..

These days things are happening everyday...

Elizabeth1837

Answer by Elizabeth1837 at 8:16 PM on Mar. 9, 2009