Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have a 8 year old boy who told his teacher he wanted to commit suicide because his father wasn`t around . He wants to have a family like his friend who have father what do I do ?

Is ther any progams that help little boys who want a father figure?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 5:15 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Answers (10)
  • You first need to find out if he is just saying that because he is upset or if he has specific ideas on how to commit suicide. If he has ideas of how he wants to do it, with what object, when, etc. you should take him to the hospital immediately. Do not mess around with that. I went through it with my own son and it isn't a joke to be taken lightly. If he is just upset and doesn't really want to die, you might look into getting him into counseling. If you can't afford it, talk to the school counselors. They do it for free on a weekly basis.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:18 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

  • I would talk to your church about it if you are involved with that. I was not a fan of my father's so I really attached myself to our youth minister at church. He was like a father-figure to me and we still talk now that I am 24. I think he needs some counseling for sure though! Maybe talk to the counselor about it because they would have better connections.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:18 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

  • I don't know of any programs, sorry I don't have that information, but if you have any brothers or brother in laws who could get involve could help out alot. I know when my sil divorced, her ex ended up not being much of a father, and one of the brother in laws in the family has been a big part of his life.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:20 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

  • Ok my oldest son didnt have a father figure when we was growing up, I can see how it could be hard for him, but my advice I can give is that maybe you should become more active in your sons life maybe involve a brother your father to be more active in his life. But Maybe his father is not apart of his life but there is one person that is always apart of his life and is always with him and that is the Lord! always remind him that God loves him and you too.

    Answer by ytapia at 5:21 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

  • Counseling!!!! both individual and family and get him involved with like big brothers/big sisters.

    Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 5:26 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

  • Big Brothers is an organization for this specific purpose. I would also recommend some serious therapy.

    Answer by kemclaughlin at 5:47 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

  • Before worrying about a program to give him a father figure, I think you need to see about getting him some counseling. My son, also 8, has not seen his father in yrs, and most of his friends come from 2 parent homes. He has NEVER said he wanted to commit suicide, for that or any other reason. It sounds like he has some serious issues, and I think it goes beyond just wanting a father, or a family like his friend has. You need to address this first and then look into other programs to help with the father figure, or at least start addressing it and look into the father figure thing at the same time.

    Answer by tropicalmama at 5:54 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

  • I agree with the poster that said there is more than just a lack of father figure involved. So I would do a 2 sided approach. Counseling for him/family. If you have a male family get them more involved, maybe big bro/big sis, also sports -- often there are male coaches and that will give him more males to look up to.
    I get concerned w/ my boy sometimes too b/c he attaches attacks(to roughhouse) all men but .... I try to get my dad involved with him and hopefully my brother when he comes home. Oh and I got a lot of older teen/college aged boys in my neighborhood and he loves to hang out with them (under moms supervision) but it gives him a chance to interact with "the boys".
    good luck momma

    Answer by MamiJaAyla at 7:16 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

  • Wow, i would not take that lightly. Even if he really does not intend to kill himself he's obviously really crying out for help. He needs for someone to help him out and pronto, immediatley.

    Answer by 4puddintaters at 8:33 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

  • if dad can't or won't be in the picture-- try the big brother program your son needs a male to look up to. also i would put him in counseling. act fast before your son does.

    Answer by maiahlynn at 10:20 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.