How do I get my child's medical record if my doctor has quit her practice

My doctor has recently closed her practice. She sent out a letter with the correspondence address, phone number, and fax numer. But the only problem is that when I call the phone number it says it is out of services. The only thing that I really want is my children's immunization records. I can't seem to find my middle daughter's record and I'm afraid that she will have to do over all her shots. Thanks appreciate the help.

Sarah2116

Asked by Sarah2116 at 5:25 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Health

• Im not positive but I think you can call a local hospital and get them
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 5:26 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Most doctors are tied to the hospital so you might call the hospital and find out.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 5:37 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• The hospital keeps the records for 3 to 5 years after that ,they are shredded.My Dr just retired,and they told me I can have them transferred to my new Dr when I find one ,or get them at the hospital.Good Luck.
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 5:44 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Did this doctor refer you to another doctor who would be taking over her practice? If so, contact them. If not, I guess you could try the hospitals or maybe call your state medical board to find out what to do. Would your children's schools have updated records of their immunizations? They should.
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 6:21 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• you can always go to the board of health and get immunization records. it is required by law for medical practices to send the records of the immunization records that they disperse to the b.o.h. So i would try there first before anywere.
    indysownlilbit

Answer by indysownlilbit at 6:41 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Well my children are not in school. My oldest just turned 5 this past month. I guess I could try to the hospital. Its just so frustrating that the information that she gave out is out of services. Where would I find the board of health?
    Sarah2116

Answer by Sarah2116 at 6:57 PM on Mar. 9, 2009