what to do about a 17 year old boy hanging out my son and friends?

So my son is 13 and he and his friends like to BMX bicycle (you know jumping, tricks etc.) Well they met a boy at the bike park that wants to teach them bike tricks. He drove to my house in his car and recetnlyand my son introduced him to me. He seems like a nice boy but I have reservations about my son hanging out with a 17 year old. I have spoken to some of my sons friends parents as we are all close and they agree, we are just not sure about how to go about handling this situation. Any suggestions? Thanks

pepperannrocks

Asked by pepperannrocks at 6:03 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• o.O I always hung out with people older than myself...

My older brother always hung out with people my age (about the same age difference you are talking about).

I'd say chances are that older boy and your son have share a common interest and just want to be friends..Also that older boy might feel like he can help your son out kinda like an older brother figure and show him all the things he knows how to do.

I really don't see anything wrong with it. How strange.

Have things really gotten that up tight?
    Anonymous

• You need to ask the boy for his parent's phone number and call them. Tell them the situation.
    If you're lucky, they will think it's inappropriate and stop their son themselves.

If you're not lucky, you will have to tell the boy you want your son to play with other guys his own age group. Then tell your son he's not allowed to hang with this kid. Follow up and be ready for a fight-your son thinks this guy is cool and is flattered by the attention of an older friend.

Remember, child molesters come in all ages. He may be innocently interested in teaching DS to do tricks on his bike-but why take a chance?
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 6:09 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Yes, I agree he is to old to be hanging out with your son..

I know children hang out at the courts and play.. But it shouldnt be personal (like hanging out at your house)..

We know that our children meet other children while playing.. but he is to old...

I would personally go by his parents house and talk to them...

Explain to them the age difference... also, their son is more mature than your son by four years..

Just tell them its not a good idea for them to hang out..

Now a days we cant put nothing pass people..

Explain to your son the samething..

He will understand

Hope all works out...

I understand where you are coming from.

Good Luck
    Elizabeth1837

Answer by Elizabeth1837 at 7:58 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• If the 17yr old seems like a good kid. he may be a good rolemodel for you son?. I always hung out with older people than myself personally so not much advice really :) lol
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 8:03 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I would go to the skate park quietly and see what is going on (ok sort of spy on them). The older boy may not fit in with kids his own age so well,but he may be a good older role model. But I would set boundaries about the friendship, like not letting your son ride in his car.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 9:38 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I don't think its a good idea for them to be hanging out. There are so many crazy people out there... And you don't know if this 17yr is being told by an adult to make friends so that they can later be kidnapped or brought into the world of male prostitution not to say there could be drugs. If you really knew the 17yr it would be different. You need to be move involved... Like being at the park everytime your son is there. Watching him and others around him. Even cars around the park that could be watching...
    Boys of 17yrs usually have other intrest as in girls or a job... Not 13yr olds. Oh and now this kid knows where you live...
    mxmtaylor

Answer by mxmtaylor at 7:58 AM on Mar. 10, 2009