We know HFCS is bad. What about Splenda?

High fructose corn syrup is a derivative (sp?) of corn and we know it is not good for your health, despite the commercials trying to convince us otherwise. Makes me wonder about Splenda, which is made from real sugar. They say it is ok for diabetics. But how is it made, and do we really know much about it?

PSMother

Asked by PSMother at 6:12 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Food & Drink

• no artifical sweetner is good in my opinion.

Was the splenda (sucralose)the one that was derived from something similar to rat poison? probably just a myth.

I use raw cane sugar.

here is what wiikipedia says:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sucralose
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 6:23 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Anything that is processed is probably not good for you. Splenda is not sugar. ...maybe it's made from real sugar. ...but it will probably never be as healthy as the real deal. Except for, of course (as you pointed out) for those ppl who have health issues, such as diabetics.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 6:24 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• notice that splenda is floating around in Maltodextrin, which is corn syrup solids composed primarily from fructose and glucose in a starch form.
    think about it, if it's 100 times sweeter than sugar, then it takes 1/100 the amount to taste the same spoon for spoon....what's the other 99/100?
    They get to tell you it's sugar free if it contains less than 1 gram of sugar, and since they set a "serving size" as half a gram, they don't have to tell you about the sugar that it really is. plus, if a "serving" contains less than 5 calories, they can claim it's calorie free too, which it isn't. a half gram of splenda contains 4 calories.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 6:43 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I'm diabetic and I REFUSE to touch artificial sweeteners!!! I'd rather take my chances with sugar!

Want to learn about Splenda? It's been found to be a toxic Chlorocarbon that is not safe to consume. Just Google "Splenda" and you'll find more reports about the dangers of it than you will about how beneficial it is.

A far better TOTALLY NATURAL, non processed sweetener that doesn't raise blood sugar levels OR have calories is stevia! It is just now starting to show up on grocery store shelves under the label Truvia...but health food stores have carried it for years and we've grown stevia plants for a few years.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 6:47 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Is stevia an artifical sweetner or a natural plant?
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 7:17 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I believe stevia is a plant.
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 9:34 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• any artificial sweetner is not good for you, switch to the raw cane sugar.
    mommy_4ever

Answer by mommy_4ever at 10:04 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Yes, I mean they may think Splenda is ok now, but we thought all those other artificial sweeteners were fine years ago, now we find out they of course cause cancer among other things. I prefer all natural foods, so I will not eat or drink anything with artificial sweeteners.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:17 AM on Mar. 10, 2009