Is the law enforcement profession feeling the effects of the economy?

The reason I ask is because I see cops hiding out everywhere, more than ever, to pull over speeders. I used to only notice it around once a month or so, but now it's like every day.

I hadn't expected to feel the economic decline in the medical field, but I did. I wondered if law enforcers were feeling the same pressure.

cmarielin

Asked by cmarielin at 6:24 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Can't hire new staff so mandatory overtime is more frequent for our department
    Anonymous

• My SO works for corrections, and like Anon, they can't afford new staff, so he is working 5 12 hour shifts a week. So yeah, even though they haven't said anything specific, it would seem they are feeling the crunch.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 6:28 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I saw somewhere recently that some new graduates of the police academy (I don't recall where) were worried they weren't going to get positions~that is, until the stimulus package included money for the departments to hire them.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 6:29 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I saw somewhere recently that some new graduates of the police academy (I don't recall where) were worried they weren't going to get positions~that is, until the stimulus package included money for the departments to hire them

This happened near me in columbus. They were-well had already-announced that the recruited class were to be laid off right after graduation. But the stimulus saved their jobs and Obama was here for their graduation.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 6:35 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Yup, they are. I wish that they could just get rid of the asshole cops and keep the good ones.
    Anonymous

• In my county they are giving out 3 times the amount of tickets that they normally do to make the county more money.
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 6:58 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I thought everyone knew that when you start seeing cops setting up speed traps and checkpoints it was to generate revenue for their city/town or troop? So it doesn't surprise me in the least that they may in fact be out more. I typically see them more at the beginning of the month--when inspection stickers become invalid.

However, in 25 years of driving, I have yet to "donate" to ANY municipality in the form of a moving/parking violation! Just watch, tomorrow, I'll probably get three! LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:59 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Yep Lori they will seem out to get ya tomorrow lol.You have set yourself up!
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 7:58 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Everyone is feeling it.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 8:09 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• i'm concerned cause my husband was trying to get on with the corrections dept and if they are not hiring then it really sucks. i would of thought with more crimes they really couldn't down size much. hopefully it's not the case here but his current job is not bad but it could always be better since they don't provide health insurance the dept of corrections would.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 8:56 PM on Mar. 9, 2009