9/11

What were you doing when you first heard about the tragedies that morning? I was holding my second son and just turned on the tv. Saw the image of one of the planes hitting the tower and first I thought it was a movie until they started saying what was going on. I cried later on because I felt so bad for all those people.

elainecat

Asked by elainecat at 6:35 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I was looking under my bed for my cat bc she had her kittens-I could hear them but couldn't find them-then my mom called and told me.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 6:37 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• My hubby told me to turn on the TV.

Just sat there and cried.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 6:39 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• It was afternoon where I was. I was doing laundry in the dorms and watching a movie with friends. Someone knocked on my friends dorm room door and said, someone bombed the WTC, and we didn't really think anything of it, or at least it didn't sink in that it was really that bad. That was until the military police came storming up the steps telling everyone who didn't live on base that they had 15 minutes to get off or risk being locked in.

Mostly what I remember was one of the guys on that floor blasting the song "It's the End of the world as we know it (and I feel fine)" Or whatever it's called followed by "Bombs Over Baghdad" as I rushed to grab my not quite dry clothes from the dryer and get the heck off base, as I didn't live there at the time.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 6:42 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• i was at matriculation day at college and didn't know why the prayer was so abnormally long. not that i don't pray but i had to get my instrument ready. we had been in the gym for like 3 hours so we were confused as heck. i went back to my dorm and my roommate was crying and told me to watch the news
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 6:45 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I was in the hospital to have surgery, was sitting on the little gurney waiting for them to hook up the IV's and stuff, visiting with my family and had the TV on. I thought it was some movie, and asked my husband to change the channel because I don't like those kind of movies, It was on ALL the channels so we turned up the volume and watched. Then my son who had just finished his army MOS got a call telling him he was on 2 hour standby till further notice. (2 hours to get your stuff together and be at the nearest base.)
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 6:48 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I was 14 (wow. has it been that long?) and i was getting ready for school. I heard it on the radio and didnt think much of it, other then it was a disater. ...but no one knew much at that point. Only one building had fallen. ...then by the time i had gotten to school it was clear that it was not an accident. ..some of my classes that day had us write down what we were feeling or whatever. others just let us watch the news. ...other just continued on like nothing happend. ...I was not personally affected by 9/11 at that time nor do i know anyone at this point in time who was. ...
    I am affected by it now bc my DH is in Iraq ..which is stupid really bc Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 6:48 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• It was morning and I was lying in bed with my 10 month old. I heard my sister tell my mom a plane crashed into the WTC but I thought it was an accident so I didn't get up. Then she shouted "Oh my God! Another one just hit it!" That got me out of bed and I watched the coverage all day. I remember holding my son and crying. I was also scared wondering what was going to happen next.
    Anonymous

• I had just gotten my kids off to school and was sitting in my living room reading. We lived in FL at the time, and my dh was deployed in the Gulf. My sister called me and asked me if I had my tv on, or if I had been listening to the radio. I told her no, and she told me I needed to turn it on.

My uncle was stationed at the Pentagon, we didn't know for days if he was alive. My kids were freaked out, because they saw it live on the news (they were watching the Pres on the tv at school), and the first question they both asked me - separately, as I went to their classes to pick them up, b/c their school went into lockdown b/c it was 99% military kids, there were reporters at the school, and we didn't know what was going on, and the school was just outside the gates, was "Is Daddy dead?"

My dh's ship / battle group was extended, and they were the first to bomb Afghanistan.

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 6:53 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• cont

Because they were the first to respond, and they were all over all the papers all over the US and all over the news, my kids (who were in 2nd and 3rd grade), saw it. Every time we went to the store, etc, there's Daddy's ship on the front page..

My dd was very worried about "what if Daddy's ship kills kids though". I had to explain to her that war is a horrible thing, and that one of the horrible things about it is that sometimes innocent people die, and sometimes those people are kids. But, that we had tried very hard to not have this war, and that we gave them lots of chances to not have it, but that the people in those planes and buildings were innocent, too, and some of them were kids. And that the difference was, when we kill kids, we do it on accident. They (the Taliban) did it on purpose.

As young as she was, she said "well, if we do on accident, we can say we're sorry!" She thought that made it better..
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 6:58 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Oh, one other thing -

We lived on base, and it was scary, driving past the guards with all their guns drawn, while we were in Delta and they only were letting emergency personnel and people who lived there on that day. My kids, after being re-assured that Daddy was still alive, asked me if Daddy was going to be safe. I told them that until we heard otherwise, we had to trust that he was. Then they asked me if we were safe. I told them that we just had to trust in God and common sense to keep us as safe as I could make us. Because at that point, I just didn't know, and wanted to reassure them, but didn't know what was going to happen to us...

We spent a long time with security patrols driving past our house with men with machine guns in the backs of trucks doing security patrols, among other things. For awhile, my kids were playing "terrorists and Sailors" - the counselor said it was a normal reaction, to process fear.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 7:03 PM on Mar. 9, 2009