What are your thoughts about this organ donation case?

http://www.wpxi.com/news/18859909/detail.html

18 year old injured serverly a year ago. Hospital is accused of taking him off breathing tube and injecting meds so they can harvest organs for sale.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:36 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• The "selling" of organs is illegal.
    You can however charge a hundred grand to harvest them, and a hundred grand to implant them, but a price tag on the actual organ is illegal.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 6:43 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I think it's bs and the parents are upset that he died.
    Anonymous

• akin I wrote that wrong. I meant to put harvested and not sold.

Anon 644 I questioned it myself but they claim the autospy will prove their case because of a drug that was injected.

I don't know. I do know it has made me change my DL to must have spousal or next of kin consent.
    Anonymous

• I call shenanigans!!! There are so many "checks and balances" in place to PREVENT the illegal acquisition of vital organs.

I think it's more of the parents having deep seeded guilt/depression/denial over their son's death, or they're claiming they didn't understand how organs were acquired/preserved/transplanted or why they were being asked about donation, that is the root of this story.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:50 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• A shot has to be given to keep them "alive" in a way so that their organs don't die off.
    Anonymous

• Cont thought...sorry submitted too early. So, a shot couldn't have been given to "kill" him
    Anonymous

• Anon 7:01PM
    I'm sure the lawsuit will come down to a interpretation of "semantics." Why don't people ask questions, or have clear thinking friends or family members EXPLAIN the entire procedure to whomever has to make the decision? Why do people get to play ignorance, at they same time they sue for millions?

I'm sure the hospital has their signatures in triplicate where the procedures were explained.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:06 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I have been through the organ donation process when we donated my dads organs. It is not easy to get the organs. Lots of paperwork is filled out and you speak with a counselor who explains everything a few times. We knew what we were doing and I am sure the parents did as well. It is a process with many checks and balances. They won't have a case and need to move on. This could simply be a money grab and I am appalled by it.

Anonymous

• I think that the parents are in denial about the death of their son. If that is the case, it is cases like this that cause our insurance premiums to rise.
    Anonymous

• Wow, I don't know what to think!
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 10:39 PM on Mar. 9, 2009