How would you handle your 4 yr old dd threatening to kill you?

Her sis had hit me with a stuffed toy and I took it they were trying to get it back and she told me if I didn't give it back she was going to kill me.

KallaLilli

Asked by KallaLilli at 6:40 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• She has no clue as to what that means. It's just words she's heard somewhere spewed in anger and she's mimicking what she heard. Be aware of what she watches on tv and what she hears. Children learn what they live. That is why tv has such a major influence on children just as much as real life. We've always not made a big deal if a child says something inappropriate. We merely gently say that's not nice and follow up with something like I'd be sad if you did that because I'd never get to see you again. That brings a bit of reality to it . Children fear being left so she might stop saying it for fear she'd never see you again.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:51 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Wow, that is really harsh words for a four year old. I would explain to her that that is not acceptable and also very hurtful. Explain it and then ignore it. If they see that they get a reaction then it will continue. It will pass, kids go through phases of how they act out. GL!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 6:42 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• depending on how she said it. Not make to big a deal of it, its sorta like saying"I hate you mommy" Your not my friend." I'd approach it the same way: That's not a nice thing to say, and you hurt my feelings but I still love you. etc
    And then I'd seriously check out and curtail what she's watching on tv.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 7:24 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• My son did something similar. (He's 4 also.) I had sent him to his room for something, I don't remember now what it was for. Anyway, he still has a baby monitor in his room since he shares with his little brother. I heard him say, "I'm going to kill Mommy." That scared the crap out of me. It took me a couple minutes but then I went in there to talk with him. I told him what I heard him say and that saying those things are not nice and he's will not talk like that again. I told him that I understand that he was angry that I sent him to his room as punishment, but he cannot talk that way. He hasn't said anything like that since then so I doubt he really meant it. He understands (as much as a 4 yo can) about death...we've had a few people die on my side of the family recently and unfortunately had to accompany me to the funerals. If I think about it, it still freaks me out that my son would say something like that.
    boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 7:47 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Well, I would tell her that is totally unacceptable and that she doesn't talk to you or anyone else like that. It's not very nice.
    DrusMom

Answer by DrusMom at 8:37 PM on Mar. 9, 2009