What would you do if someone came in your house without your permission?

Our roommate finally got all of his stuff out about a month ago. He didn't give the key back though. He received some mail here last Monday. He came by but I wasn't home so he called and I told him I would call him when I got home. I looked for his mail when I got home so I could call him but couldn't find it I even called my SO at work to see where it was but it wasn't here. My SO called him on his lunch break because we remembered he still had a key and found out that he came in our house without our permission or evening telling us. I am upset and I feel violated but my SO acts like he doesn't care, but has asked for the key back but the guy hasn't brought it back yet.

KallaLilli

Asked by KallaLilli at 6:50 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Relationships

• Well, first I would change the locks. This guy used to live with you - he probably has a pretty good idea of your schedules and when you will/will not be home. Since he had a key its not a breaking and entering, but it was trespassing since he did not have permission to enter the home and he no longer lives there. If you are extremely concerned I would make a police report - don't press charges, just put it on record, so if anything ends up missing from your home with no signs of forced entry then you have him on record.

But really,. I would change your locks.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 6:54 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I would be unhappy. change the locks.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 6:52 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Lesson learned: You need to get a locksmith to change all your locks. ASAP

The room mate can easily make a duplicate of the key before he gives back to you.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 6:53 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I would feel the same way, it is a violation of your privacy! Change your locks ASAP! Good luck! :)
    Inkedmommy007

Answer by Inkedmommy007 at 6:58 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I trust my old roommates and love them to death. I wouldn't care if they came into my house to get something that belonged to them.
    Anonymous

• Change the locks.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:20 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I agrre with everyone else you need to just change your locks asap
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 7:22 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• change the locks and i agree he does know your schedule but then i have a very big german shepherd he wouldnt get far like the guy who tried to break in the other night.i might add he is not vicious but he doesnt like people coming in the house with out an invite...
    snowmom974

Answer by snowmom974 at 7:50 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I would let your SO handle it, but i would go buy a new lock & change them.
    Anonymous

• Change the locks.
    catholicmamamia

Answer by catholicmamamia at 8:38 PM on Mar. 9, 2009