my 7 month old just threw up her cereal. i think she's getting sick, i was the other day. i'm pretty sure she has mucus in her throat. she still takes the bottle just fine though. I gave her tylonal for now. is there anything else i can give her and should i just keep the rice cereal away for a couple days?

Thanks ladies

armywife43

Asked by armywife43 at 7:00 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• FYI. Tylenol does not help with vomiting. Just for pain and fever. If she continues to throw up you need to make sure she doesn't get dehydrated by upping her fluid intake. Signs of dehydration are lethary, dry/sticky mouth, wrinkly lips, dry skin, fewer pee diapers. Any of those signs and you should take her to the hospital otherwise just keep an eye on her.
    2cubs

Answer by 2cubs at 7:29 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• armywife, so sorry for the rude answer from the "anonymous" poster. nobody deserves that, especially when they're dealing with a sick baby!
    i second what 2cubs said about dehydration. you didn't mention if she had a fever?
    but regardless, i would watch the tylenol. i'm going to try to avoid giving mine any unless she gets a high fever- even then i hear baby motrin might be safer.
    as for the mucus, try a couple drops of warm water with salt in each nostril, then suction it out right away. will help keep her nose clean, so she can breath and eat better.
    mfmom

Answer by mfmom at 7:36 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• My son throws up solid food still, because he has a really senstive gag reflex. I would just go ahead and hold off on the feeding solids for a couple weeks and then try again. Some babies are ready right at six months, and some take longer. Babies don't "need" solid food during the first year, and the AAP recommends that they get nourishment mostly from breastmilk (or formula if you're FF) until they are 12 months old. Before 12 months, food is more of a supplement, fun activity, and sort of "manners training." I hope that helps!

Obviously - if you're little one is showing other signs of being sick then you'll know what to do... but if it's just from the food, I'd hold off for a bit.
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 7:56 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I would watch her for a few days, ans make sure she doesn't have and allergy to the cereal. also, buy pedialite or some form of drink that has electrolites in it. and only let her take sips. that should keep her from getting super dehydrated. 2cubs is right, tylenol won't do her any good if she's not running a fever, I wouldn't give it to her.

Hopefully your little angel isn't too sick, hopefully it was just an upset tummy caused by mucus
    mommy_4ever

Answer by mommy_4ever at 9:05 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• i can't believe how rude anonymous is. your baby may not be sick, especially if she doesn't have a fever. some babies just throw up for no reason. i know my DD will throw up her food every now and then especially if DH or I play w/her right after she eats or if she moves around too much or too fast. oh and don't give your baby Tylenol unless they have a fever! GL, hope your LO feels better.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 10:13 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• u could try the brat diet which is bread, rice, apple sauce, toast, i would keep her hydrated to with water and pedialight
    tsflnangel

Answer by tsflnangel at 11:27 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• and keep taking her temp if it get to 100 call the doctor
    tsflnangel

• thanks ladies! sorry, i should have mentioned she didn't have a fever, like i said, i was sick a few days ago, and all it was, was a stuffy nose, and my throat hurt, it had mucus in it. those are basically what she has now. i will def keep her hydrated! oh and she's been on rice cereal for a few weeks now, but i can hold that off. i know she doesn't need it, it's just something i give to her at night right now to get her used to eating with a spoon. again, thanks ladies!
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 6:03 PM on Mar. 10, 2009