Stepmoms: Are there others out there who actually LIKE being a stepmom, and don't WANT to be a mom?

Seems like most stepmoms either hate it, or long for motherhood, or both...but I sort of like the part time thing. Are there others who are stepmoms and do not want kids of their own?

EnnieN

Asked by EnnieN at 7:07 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• I LOVE my DSS. and i am his mom. BM is not in the picture. ...but i still want to birth my own child. it's time DS have a little brother or sister. He is 3yo ...i'll be nearly 23 by the time i give birth IF we get preggo when we plan it.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 7:12 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Same as the above poster, I am a mom to my SD. I do want more kids, not only because of biology but I'm not ready to be an empty nester in 4 yrs.

Why do you ask?
    Praying

Answer by Praying at 10:22 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I ask because I have always loved kids, not sure I wanted kids. Decided to leave it to fate. Finally met the man of my dreams, who has two young girls and has been fixed. It is important to me to be curious about whether or not I want kids, not to assume...and it seems more and more clear that I do not. I love my independence as a woman!

We have been together two years, and I love my partner's daughters (with us 1/2 time) and him and the girls love me back! They do not love me the way they love their mom, but a different way with some overlaps. Many people seem envious of that mother-love that people feel for mommy. I am grateful for the love that I get that comes from the friendships and trust that we are building. The fact that mom has mental health issues influences this, I think. For me, it is the best of both worlds. I wish people would stop telling me to have my own; I love my life as is. Anyone else?
    EnnieN

Answer by EnnieN at 1:06 PM on Mar. 10, 2009