Need help with IBS issues...

I know this is TMI, but I need some advice. I was diagnosed with IBS last August. I was told to take Fibercon pills everyday to help. Well, they help to a certain degree. I work in an office environment which means I am either in meetings or someone is sitting with me at my desk. Right before each meeting, my stomach starts to bother me. I can usually tell that I am going to have to go to the bathroom soon. I never have to go before, only during the meetings. And in most cases, it feels like an emergency. I am usually focused on my situation and not the meeting. I have heard the phrase “Don’t get your bowels in an up roar.” How do you prevent it? There have been a few times in meetings that my stomach made a loud noise, like I passed gas. It is so embarrassing!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:43 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Health

• sounds more like anxiety than IBS. They diagnosed my son at first with IBS and later found it was anxiety.
    kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 7:51 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I was worried it could be anxiety. If it is anxiety, how do you treat or over come it?
    Anonymous

• My doctor told me to start taking a probiotic to help with my IBS. It has helped tremendously. I take it at night when I am home...it gives me terrible gas sometimes and I would be mortified if I started losing steam out in public or at work. Give it a try and see how it works for you. I am not having nearly the same issues as I was before. Also, I have cut out eating fast food and anything ultra greasy. Those two things usually makes my IBS flare up.
    Anonymous

• I too have ibs. Anxiety or stress can make it worse. Doesnt nessasarly mean you have a anxiety problem. people with IBS may be more sensitive to emotional troubles. Stress and anxiety may make the mind more aware of spasms in the colon. I take imodium for mine. Try and treat the ibs and your anxiety about it should go away. Regular exercise, getting enough sleep, and eating a good diet for IBS also helps reduce tension.I know easier said than done!

Anonymous