How can I tell my DH nicely?

We are really poor and cannot afford all our bills and have debt collectors call all day. My husband likes to buy me things like flowers and stuff to surprise me. I know he's trying to be sweet and romantic, but we can't afford them. How can I tell him I appreciate the thought, but don't want them since we can't afford them, and not hurt his feelings or make him mad?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:12 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Relationships

• Say it exactly as you just did. Make sure you say that you really appreciate and love it, but would rather go without currently. GL!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 8:15 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• "Baby I love and appreciate all that you do and buy for me. You are the most wonderful husband. But right now we just can't afford these things." My husband was buying me flowers every Friday when we were in college, but when he couldn't afford it, he would take pics of flowers (from wherever he was that day) and send them to me via phone or email, or he would find a pic online and send it to me. I thought this was so cute and they lasted alot longer! Maybe you can suggest something like that.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 8:20 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• MamaChamp...that is a gret idea. I would have never of thought of that. SO COOL!!! I love romance.
    JenaElliott

Answer by JenaElliott at 8:30 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• In our family we send cyber/virtual gifts like flowers and candy. That way no plant gives its life for me and I don't gain weight but the thought is still there and appreciated. I gave my niece a virtual trip to Europe for her graduation! LOL

Answer by admckenzie at 10:13 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Tell him exactly what you told us and mention that you don't need little gifts to know he loves you. OR start leaving him sweet notes around the house. bake him his favorite cookies. Ask him to push you in the swing at the park. Show him that free things can be just as great or better as flowers and candy.
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 11:52 PM on Mar. 10, 2009