Cheese

When do you think it is ok to start giving cheese to my now 9month old baby. I have given him like a few pieces of shredded cheese but not much. He seems to like it, but I want to know what's a good time for him to start eating it for a little snack

Borikaos

Asked by Borikaos at 8:18 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, it is fine. At 9 months I was giving my nephew all table food, whatever I was eating. And I will do the same with my dd.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 8:19 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Expert Answers
    The BabyCenter Editorial Team
    As long as the cheese is cut into fingertip-sized pieces and your baby can gum or chew to some extent, you can offer him certain types of cheese as early as 9 months. If your family has a history of allergies — hay fever, asthma, or food allergies, for example — the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology recommends holding off on introducing dairy products until 12 months. Signs of a food allergy include swelling of the tongue, lips, and face; a skin rash; wheezing; abdominal cramping; vomiting; or diarrhea. If your baby develops any of these symptoms after eating cheese or any other food, call his doctor as soon as possible.

"Start with a mild cheese like mozzarella or cheddar, or spread a thin layer of cream cheese on a toasted bagel or a cracker," suggests Marilyn Tanner.

Website: http://www.ask.com/bar?q=when+is+it+ok+for+a+baby+to+eat+cheese&page=1&qsrc
    2kidsonly2arms

Answer by 2kidsonly2arms at 8:45 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I'd say now is a good time. My daughters pedi told me I could start giving dairy, such as cheese and yogurt at 9 months.
    Anonymous

• I think 9 months is perfect ...that is when we put my daughter on all table solid foods (obviously cut up very small!!) ....just be carefull to watch her bms bc sometimes cheese can bind up babies/children.
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 11:24 PM on Mar. 9, 2009