My 4 week old baby breastfeeds only for 5 minutes and sleeps for 3-4 hours. Is he getting enough milk in 5 minutes.

I have 4 week old boy. He feeds only for 5 minutes, on one side before he falls asleep and then would sleep for 3-4 hours in a stretch. I have tried waking him in between his sleeps but he won't take anything if he is sleepy. Even pumping milk and trying with bottle didn't work for me. I am worried if he is sleeings on empty stomach

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:21 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No worries, he will wake when he is hungry. I thought my dd wasn't getting enough the first few weeks because she was doing the same thing, but then when I went for a check up she had gained a whole pound! He is just a efficient littel feeder and a good sleeper - enjoy it while it lasts!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 8:23 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• As long as he is peeing regularly, he is eating enough. How long he nurses doesn't matter. Maybe he's just really efficient already. My son got down to about 5 minutes by the time he was a few months old, and I was worried I was drying up or something. But as he kept gaining weight, peeing, and thriving, I realized he was just really speedy. Lol...
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 8:23 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• My daughter only nursed for 5-7 minute stretches at a time. As long as she was growing and making wet diapers, the doc said it was ok. Could you call and talk to the lactation consultants at the hospital you had him at, they always have helpful advice. Good Luck.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 8:29 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Check for 6-8 wet diapers daily. If your LO wets this much, he is typically fine. Weight gain is another indicator, though remember that BF babies grow on a different scale than FF babies. A minimum of 4 oz a week is normal for a BF baby.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 9:29 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• My baby girl Did the same, Your babys belly is very small and Milk comes down very fast. It only takes 5 -7 min to fill up the tiny belly. As long as you have alot of wet diapers everything is fine! :)
    Toriann1016

Answer by Toriann1016 at 10:16 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• He's fine. He'll eat when he's hungry.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 11:18 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• He's probably getting enough if he's sleeping and wetting 4-6 diapers, but you'll want to wake him up after 3hrs during the day, it's important to build up your milk supply and keep your breasts producing the fat rich hindmilk. If he falls asleep after 5 minutes try burping him and switching breasts, I had to undress my lo to keep him awake in the first couple months, the lactation consultant I saw even suggested using a cool damp washcloth on his back and shoulders to keep him awake.........................
    wadesmum

Answer by wadesmum at 11:58 PM on Mar. 9, 2009