Breastfeeding ??

Is 1 week too early to give up on the nipple latching process? I Had My newborn on the 3rd and we just can't seem to get the latching right. I go through all the steps but she refuses to suck on anything more than my poor nipple. Even after I break suction 10 times. So now I'm at the point where I'm just pumping out bottles for her. I know it's still breastmilk but i just wish I could get her to latch and not fight with me. What do you ladies think? OH and is it a normal reaction for my BD to be grossed out by seeing me pump my milk?

MiMiBreezy

Asked by MiMiBreezy at 8:33 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just give her time and at least you are pumping and she is still getting your milk. Just try a few times a day and she will eventually get it. Maybe her little mouth is just to small??
    Peekalou

Answer by Peekalou at 8:36 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Have you tried talking with a lactation consultant? They can help give you ideas and advice, and may be able to tell you if there is a physical problem with the baby such as tongue-tie. Good luck!!
    Fourbymom

Answer by Fourbymom at 8:36 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• My nurses made sure baby and I were latched on before I was discharged. I would go back to the hospitals and have the lactitions help with this. And dthen if all else fails keep pumping your milk.
    I don't remember what DB means.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 8:37 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I would keep trying. I would get in contact with a lactation consultant and have them come and help with latching. You baby just needs to learn how to latch properly and then it will be smooth sailing. Putting the work in now will be well worth it. GL!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 8:37 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• KEEP TRYING!! it took my DD an entire month and a half to latch "properly" and shes 5 months old thriving and still BF :]
    Kamarias_mommy

Answer by Kamarias_mommy at 8:56 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• It will take a couple weeks for her to latch right...put your thumb and fingers in a C-shape and fit as much of your breast in your mouth as you can and she will learn to latch...what helped me when she was really little was the "football hold." I would call a lactation consultant to come and help you....Good luck and don't give up!!:)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:13 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• IMO, yes that is too soon to give up. Have you contacted your local La Leche League? They can help.

Nothing daddies do is normal.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:15 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• keep trying, it took us about two weeks to get it right but we kept it up and it has been SO worth it. she has been breastfeeding for almost 8 1/2 months so far!
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 9:32 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Dont worry your baby will get the hang of it, It took my little one at least three weeks to really get the hangof it.. as for your BD people all react differently to seeing a person Pump or brestfeed, in time im sure he will get used to it! :)
    Toriann1016

Answer by Toriann1016 at 10:19 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• call your local La Leche League and keep trying. It doesn't get easy til a few weeks in.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 11:17 PM on Mar. 9, 2009