How do you give your toddler medicine without them gagging and throwing up?

I have tried several ways of giving my little girl medicine. She has a strong gag reflex and medicine makes her gag and then throw up. Does anyone have any ideas of how to sneak it in?

cwgrlmom

Asked by cwgrlmom at 8:37 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• How about through food or drink? Maybe her favorite snack?
    DrusMom

Answer by DrusMom at 8:38 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• In orange juice, most meds can't even be tasted through it.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 8:40 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• It really depends on the medicine. Be careful mixing it, that the drug doesn't interact with the food. We used a medicine syringe and had them open really wide. Then we would "shoot" it in. Then give them a sip of water.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 9:08 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• It does depend on the medicine but try mixing it will applesauce or yogurt or something else that has that consistency that she likes
    caitlin.tolcher

Answer by caitlin.tolcher at 10:57 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• i mix dds with a special treat like yoohoo and she'll take it
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 11:35 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Putting it in a bit of v8 splash has worked bc it has so many different flavors anyway he doesn't notice and the color is dark (we tried it with the blueberry pomegranite one) or in Jello sometimes works. Try mixing it into anything that has like smells/flavors and especially colors! She might think it tastes funny but she probably won't realize it is because there is medicine in it until shes already done! Good luck! My son is the same way! Oh yeah and make sure she has no idea medicine is coming either lol
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 12:12 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I hold his nose. He takes it that way!
    JacesMommy627

Answer by JacesMommy627 at 12:15 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• chocolate milk. i have to do it every morning with mine
    MyGodSent

Answer by MyGodSent at 11:49 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• My toddler LOVES taking medicine. We have to be extra careful to keep it out of his reach. I pour it in the cup and it's down before I'm done screwing the cap back on. Then he usually asks for more!
    Sorry Momma, but your question just made me realize how lucky I am
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 2:37 PM on Mar. 11, 2009