Does color matter growing up?

My neice has three fathers. When she was born my sister was with boyfriend #1. everyone believed it to be his baby. As she grew older it was clear to everyone except boyfriend #1 that she was white/black. My sister and Bf #1 are white. When neice was 2 1/2 they broke up. Sister introduced neice to her real father, who was only in the pic for a month or so, then moved to diff state. Now she's with a new guy. Neice is around bf#1 and new guy both white. My question is does it matter. Does she need someone who is also black to relate to? Will it affect her to only be around white people, will she feel like an outcast as she grows older reguardless of love that we have for her, will she feel like she doesn't belong?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:04 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• IMO, I think she should know her heritage, it's her right. With that being said that doesn't mean that she has to be with the biodad to learn that, maybe his family would like to know their grandbaby, cousin, niece, etc.... If he's not good for her maybe she has other family that could teach her.
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 9:58 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Hm, thats an interesting question. I've heard answers on both sides. I had a boyfriend who was mixed and lived with an all white family. He had a hard time with it. But others don't seem to. If I were you I might check out the interracial groups and ask this question.

MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 9:22 PM on Mar. 9, 2009