So i've never been on a plane before....

and i'm going to be flying from wisconsin to ohio in a couple weeks. Just myself and my two year old son. Any advice? How does it work taking him on with me... will I be able to have a seat belt on him the entire time (to contain him from running around going crazy! lol)

JmgBlair

Asked by JmgBlair at 9:18 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Travel

• I took my kids on vacation from Oklahoma to California when they were 3 an 5. Seat-belted the whole time, except when they HAD to go potty (never mind the fact we went 10 times before getting on the plane). It was fun trying to fit 3 of us in the plane bathroom. I would bring some gummy bears for him to eat when the plane's taking off to relieve pressure in the ears. Also, coloring books and crayons are great to entertain during flight. And, of course, he gets the window seat! Have a great trip!!
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 9:22 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Yes, on the seatbelt and sparrow is right, bring licorice or gummies or something for the plane or maybe buy a water for pressure.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:26 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• We have traveled with our kids t all ages, from 16 months to 9 years. Some tips I would give you for a 2 year old are:

1. Follow the others advice and bring something chewy for him during takeoff and landing. We brought fruit snacks for our kids.

2. Buy a bottled water when you get on so he can drink it if the chewy snacks don't work for the ears.

3. Yes, you can keep him buckled but like the post above said, give him the window seat if you have a window seat so that he can be occupied looking outside.

4. Toys for the plane--crayola color wonder items, a board book, a portable dvd player if you have one, a few small items your child likes such as a stuffed animal, baby blanket, travel pillow, etc.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:52 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I don't think it sounds like a really long fight but I agree with April's answer.

Definitely bring the gummies for them to chew right before take-off for their ears and cabin pressure when it changes.

I've got a bad ear and on my flight to England (10 hours from Detroit to London) my left ear got that crackling sound and pain started...sounded like my ear busted. OH the pain!

I probably shouted or spoke really loudly to compensate! LOL It finally stopped hours later after I landed.......but I HATED that feeling of water in the inner ear and it was as if I was at a rock concert for many hours!
    Anonymous