What age does a child usually get braces?

My daughter will be 9 in May and has a consultation scheduled with the orthodontist also in May, but I was wondering about how old I can expect the braces?

sparrowprincess

Asked by sparrowprincess at 9:33 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I had mine on when i was in middle school which was a perfect age to understand why i needed them and how to care for them.
    Baby1114

Answer by Baby1114 at 9:36 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I'm in the process of getting my son braces he's 11 but doc says I might have to wait til he's 12 he still hasn't lost all his baby teeth ....
    LatinMamiOf2

Answer by LatinMamiOf2 at 9:40 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• My son is 11. He just got a palatal expander, which is like a precursor to braces in some instances. So he will probably get braces when he is 12.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:02 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• My daughter got hers @ 10. I think it depends on the child
    cafe4me

Answer by cafe4me at 2:27 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• i got mine at 9 or 10 mom wanted them too be off once i hit middle school cause she knew the kids would be mean about them had them taken off at the end of my first yr of middle school so it wasn't too bad just hated not being able too eat some things that other kids could lol
    greeniemommy

Answer by greeniemommy at 8:39 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• my daughter got hers at 12. My son is 12 and he has a consultation for braces but with his growth delay his boneage is that of a 10 yo so he might not be ready yet.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:32 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• My daughter is 12 (will be 13 in May) and has visited the ortho twice only to be told that her mouth is still not ready for braces. She still has 2 baby teeth to lose and still has to get all four of her 12-yr molars. When this happens, she will be ready for braces.
    Nancy37

Answer by Nancy37 at 11:22 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I have been facing the same issues and I have taken her my DD to the ortho and she said not until they are 12 cause they have so many growth spurts before that time and they are still losing many of their abby teeth.. I can't do anything with her teeth until then.. Good luck
    leecmad4

Answer by leecmad4 at 12:55 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I was in 6th grade and got them off in 9th grade. My son is 12 and hasn't had them put on yet. Mostly because he needs 4 teeth pulled first and I don't have the money or insurance to do so. He has too many teeth in his mouth, so teeth pulled and adult teeth grown back in before he can get braces. I would say, anywhere from 4th grade on up, depending on the child and how bad the teeth are. My son had his first ortho exam at 7 years old and that is the recommendation.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:17 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Once all their baby teeth have fallen out, and once the permanent teeth are all the way in. Depending on the child, I'll say eleven at the very youngest. My oldest will definitely need braces - Her teeth are a mess, she won't even smile half the time because she's so embarrassed about her teeth. She's worried about being teased for wearing braces but I told her it's better than getting teased for weird teeth. The dentist I took her to said we had to wait until all her baby teeth were out. And sometimes, they even have to pull out some teeth, to make room for the rest of the teeth - which I think will be the case for my daughter. Her sister's teeth are perfect, but my son, he will need braces too. His teeth are coming in exactly like Isabel's. Oh well. Some dentist will get rich off of my kids dental needs.
    chavela_carlita

Answer by chavela_carlita at 6:04 PM on Mar. 10, 2009