I just want to know what you guys think of this. It's about what a pediatric told a friend to do with her sick 6-month old baby.

From my understanding, my friend's six-month old baby was having bad bouts of diaherra. Well, she called the pediatric and asked him what to do. He said to give the baby pedialyte (I'm not sure if I spelt that right, but you know what I am talking about!) and juice/water. That's fine, but what I thought was bizzare was he told her to NOT give the baby formula until the diaherra went away. Her daughter was without formula for nearly 4-5 days! I think that's ridiculous. Formula has all of the water and, especially, essential nutrients, and wasn't -what- was causing the diaherra. Does this make any sense, or should I be urging her to find a different pediatric?

ShadesofGrey

Asked by ShadesofGrey at 9:36 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The digestive system may be in shock and formula is not easily digested. I can't see going for 5 days though.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 9:41 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I would think the baby would naturally refuse food until feeling better.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 9:42 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• THe pediatrician knows more than you in this area. They are trying to flush out the system. Do you drink milk when your stomach is all gross?
    Anonymous

• This is my experience. My son had the same thing plus vomiting. His doctor told me to give him nothing but clear liquids and pedialyte. The formula or milk is too thick for the tummies when they are sick. The pedialyte is giving them nutrients and stuff so I did that. My son is healthy as can be. I tried giving my son solids and formula but he just kept having trouble. His diarrhea went away after I stopped giving him formula.
    foreveryours66

Answer by foreveryours66 at 9:54 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Sounds about right. I did that same thing, another thing that worked amazingly well that I got out of a baby care book was a tablespoon of orange soda every two hours, it stops major diarrea. It won't rot their teeth you aren't giving to them all the time. The corn syrup solids put the glucose back in the body that the diarrea took out. I know it sounds crazy, but it really did work. My kids wouldn't touch pedialyte so I had to do gatorade.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 10:10 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• It is what my pediatrician recommended also. The formula forms curds when it hits the stomach which are hard to digest. The all liquids will help relax his digestive tract. That does seem a long time though. I think I'd have called after the second day without formula.

Answer by Bmat at 10:54 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Seems perfectly normal to me. Mine was on pedilyte a lot longer then that because that was what his ped. told me todo until he stopped vomiting. Well turns out his wasnt a real tummy ache it was a problem that needed to be fixed by surgery but He survived. Yes lost weight but that was due to the vomiting not giving him the liquids and not formula. Have you ever tried to throw up milk, or drank milk when you were sick like that probably not. Same principles apply for the baby. It would do nothing but make the poor thing feel worse.
    TristansMommy16

Answer by TristansMommy16 at 11:47 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Sounds like good advice to me..i know that when my son has diarrhea or stomach problems that he doesn't even want any dairy products (it will probably come out anyway). The main thing is to prevent dehydration and vomiting formula will only make matters worse.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 8:49 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Thanks for explaining this to me. I don't know where I read this, but I think I read somewhere that if a baby was sick, to continue the formula because the formula would prevent dehydration as well. But what everyone said made a lot of sense. :)
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 3:01 PM on Mar. 10, 2009