When is a GOOD age to put in Head start?

Im a full time working mom and My daughter tamia is almost 3 in may.. she is soooo smart they told me she can start when she was 2 but how early is to early..? what age would you start ur child

Mrs_Dewberry

Asked by Mrs_Dewberry at 10:08 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think you should put them in based on the child when our son was three he wanted to go to school so we found a good one and now hes almost five and can't wait for real school I think some parents wait but you dont want to not encourage learning plus they can get a few colds and build up some immune system. The first year my son was sick alot and now one cold and that was it. Social too I know we set up play dates but children may act differently when they're not around you so it's to get an idea on what needs to be worked on before kindergarten.
    MrsDeputy

Answer by MrsDeputy at 10:31 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I used to work at a Head Start in "classrooms" that were daycare rooms for infants and toddlers, not like bringing school down to the younger ones, just a better option than a babysitter who puts the little ones in a playpen or in front of the tv all day. We did alot of things with the children that they don't usually get at home, like art and music. Also the structure of the toddler room routine helped when they went to the preschool rooms.
    Anonymous

• My middle son started Pre-K at 4- a few months before his 5th b'day. My youngest son started 3 months before his 4th b'day. They both have late b'days and couldn't start kindergarten. My kids went to Pre-K at the elementary school. I liked it better than the "day care" setting. It was more like "school". I am not knocking day cares that offer these programs because yes, some of them are good but the ones around here- it was like "free baby sitting service". I wanted more than a baby sitter.

BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 2:19 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Interesting...the headstart program here will take SOME older three year olds if they have openings but the kid has to be potty trained.

If this is an actual "school" setting and not just another version of daycare, consider this...when she's 5 she will start kindergarten then attend school through 12th grade. Then following that, there is college for at least (usually) 4 years. Does she really need more school?
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:48 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• at the head-start where i work, they must be three before they can start. if she is mature enough (not a baby still) then put her in. most of my kids (at work) are wonderfull, but there was one little who was just not ready for "school" yet. he was still a baby, even though his age said he could go. if you think she is ready for it, go for it, if you don't think she is, fine a stiier. it will be easier for everybody (you, your child, and the staff at head start)
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 12:56 PM on Mar. 10, 2009