When do you get your soul....

This is something that has always bothered me with the abortion debate, and the embryonic stem cell research. This isn't about whether you think abortion is right or wrong, I personally cannot imagine looking a rape victim in the face and telling her she MUST carry a baby resulting from that, BUT when do you think the soul forms?

When the cell cluster?
When the ears form?
When the fetus is viable?
When the baby is born?

This really extends beyond christians b/c most believe in souls. This is question that haunts me a little.

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 10:08 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I had a discussion with a woman I've known over 30 years that would have a bearing on this. For the first time, I found out she was adopted, and she was telling me she has memories that goes back to when she was a baby. In fact, she's pretty sure some of her memories even go back to the womb! She remembers hearing people fighting and seeing shadowy shapes as if she was looking through closed eyes even though she was awake. When she found her biological family, they confirmed that her parents fought a lot.

If this isn't proof that a baby has a soul, feelings, memories, and everything else like a person who has been outside of the womb a while, I don't know what is. I have no reason to NOT believe this woman either.
    rhope4

Answer by rhope4 at 11:44 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• i think when you are born
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 10:10 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• when you take your first breath
    Anonymous

• I'm sorry...I did not see the just asked abortion Q. Just something that was on my mind and I went straight for the Ask Question thingy! Sorry if you are sick of the abortion Q's!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:12 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Im not a religious person, but I think its the moment the sperm meets the egg. I think the soul is there from the VERY beginning.
    sylvia10907

Answer by sylvia10907 at 10:13 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I don't believe in souls... but when would I consider it a baby rather than a fetus or cells?

probably about 7 weeks, when they form a heartbeat and the brain starts to develop.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:26 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I believe all of our souls have always existed.

I believe a fetus has a soul as soon as it is concieved. And I believe If a baby is aborted the soul still exists and may choose to reicarnate.
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 10:31 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I don't believe in souls as a spiritual thing someone has. I see it as something a person develops. But that is the just an atheist making sense of a word.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 10:41 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• The soul enters at the time of quickening (when you feel the baby).
    Anonymous

• The baby is a living soul from conception.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 11:09 PM on Mar. 9, 2009