group b strep

so my friend is 8 1/2 months preggo like i am and she just found out she has group b strep..i looked it up and im still a little confused about it..what exactly is it, How do you get it and i know you have to have iv during labor but does it ever go away?? for those of you that Have had it, what was your experience with it? was your baby ok when he/she was born?

tnteaton

Asked by tnteaton at 10:21 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had this too. Don't worry it is very common. It is a bacteria that lives in the vagina that can make the baby sick if exposed to it. They will run antibiotics during delivery to avoid it. I guess it comes from fecal matter, I know sounds gross. I was negative for three babies and this last one was positive, go figure.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 10:24 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Oh yeah, baby was fine...
    Steff107

• Everybody has bacteria on their body but some women have the strep b bacteria and it's only cause for concern if you're having a baby but they give them some antibiotics or some type of medicine at birth for it and it shouldn't be a problem. I don't believe it goes away I think you always have it but it only matters during birth.
    Anonymous

• Goupr B is just a bacteria that some have and others don't. You can live your whole life with it and never know. It doesn't affect you. I have it and both of my babies were born healthy. I did have the two full rounds of antibiotics before each were born though. My older sister has group B, and she was not as lucky. Her labor went extremely fast and her daughter was born within 30 minutes. Her DD was affected by GBS. She spent a whole week in the NICU. She is now almost 7 and is very healthy. She is lucky she didn't suffer from any side effects from GBS. Many babies end up blind, or deaf, or have other health issues after being affected by GBS. I hope all goes well for your friend. Let her know, and I am sure she does already, to get into the hospital soon after going into labor, and be sure they give her the antibiotics ASAP.
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 10:29 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• She's right, I had an induction because my labors go fast and they want antibiotics in ahead of time. I still wonder how I had three kids GBS neg and this last one was Positive!?
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 10:32 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I had Group B strep with my 2 1/2 year old but the test came out neg. for the baby I'm about to pop any day now. With my DS, I just went into the hospital when I was in labor and they gave me antibiotics. My DS is fine.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 10:45 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• It can go away, its not an std, and as long as it is treated properly during labor there is little risk to the baby... or at least thats what Ive been told and its my mantra seeing as how I tested positive...

Tell your friend not to worry and good luck!
    MarchMarie

Answer by MarchMarie at 10:45 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Thanks everyone!
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 11:05 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• i just had a baby 3 months ago and was tested positive for group B sTREP AND THEYT GAVE Me the meds while i was in labor and my water broke lon its own before that and i was induced and had my babt in 5 and a half hours she came out fine and healthy and a big baby I was worried through the rest of my pregnancy bewcause of that and i thought i did somjething wrong but i was relieved to findout that it wasnt something i did but ki have been thru what u r going thru and i know its gonmna be ok with all the technology they have these days congats on your pregnancy and good luck on your labor
    zoeysmommy09

Answer by zoeysmommy09 at 11:28 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• thanks zoeysmommy09 but its not me, its my friend who's due the same time i am. ive never dealt w this before and although this is her 2nd, shes kinda clueless on alot of things so i try to help her.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 11:52 PM on Mar. 9, 2009