5 Months old baby, Are you strictly brestfeeding or starting solids?

I have been reading all different materials on when its the right time to start my baby on solid food, Some books say 4 months, others say 6..new information says you dont need to give your baby anything more than brest milk the entire first year. Right now Im only brestfeeding... but Im afraid that If I dont start her on solids she wont have enough to eat, or she may have a harder time weening after the first year... when is the right time to start???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:25 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Your milk is all your baby really needs the first year. You had the right info.
    Check out http://www.Kellymom.com
    mamajody0507

Answer by mamajody0507 at 10:43 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• It really depends on your kiddo. I started both of mine at 4 mo old w/ infant cereal BUT that was bc they were actually trying to pull my plate off the table (I BF them while I ate) so to me that was an indicator they needed more food. I BF my first until he was 15 mo and am still BFing my 9 mo old. The 9 mo old is on solid foods and a water sippy during the day too.

They say the indicators are if they show interest in your food, open their mouth when you are feeding yourself, can sit up reasonably well (I propped towels around them in the high chair since they wobbled a bit) and hold their head up. The best advice I can give is to try it. There is no harm in trying it and seeing how they re-act. If they like it, keep doing it and if not, try again in a few mo.

HTH
    blogginmomma

Answer by blogginmomma at 10:46 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• your milk is all baby needs. old info says 4 months. the AAP and WHO say 6 months is the earliest you may start. but you don't have to til after a year. my baby started finger foods at 11 months. solids in infancy are for practice and play, not nutrition. as long as you nurse on demand, she will always have enough to eat. as for weaning, it'll happen when she's ready. don't push solids to take away milk cause milk is what's really important.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 11:13 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• My baby is 4 1/2 months and he's been eating the 1st foods for about 3 weeks now. Fruits and veggies and cereal. He was trying to get at our food also and stared at us during dinner. We felt bad and talked to his pediatrician and he said it was okay to start him on food because of his size. He's big. He was in the 95th percentile for his weight BEFORE we put him on food. And the 93rd for his height. Now it's 97th for weight and 95th for height. Due to his size, food was okay.... and he's doing good with it. He only eats baby food during dinner with us. Other than that, I breastfeed.
    Kaytlynsmommy

Answer by Kaytlynsmommy at 12:02 AM on Mar. 10, 2009