My 9 month old is not sleeping so well.

My 9 month old is not sleeping so well at night. He goes to bed about 8 and then will usually sleep until b/n 3 and 4 but after that it's like every hour and a half. He is getting his 2 bottom teeth, so I don't know if that might be the cause. He already falls asleep on his own for bedtime and naps. Any advice would be great. I am just wanting more QUIET nights. He went through periods where he slept all night, but this has been going on a while now. He also went through periods where he would wake up b'n 10 and 11 but then sleep most the rest of the night. I didn't like this early wake up either!! :) He hasn't done this early wake up in a while.

blupink

Asked by blupink at 10:31 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Are you BFing him, co-sleeping or have him in your room? There are all sorts of factors that keep them up. One could just be he is used to waking up at certain times bc you respond to him, so he's in a routine now. (The problem I'm currently having w/ my almost 9 mo old.) Most likely, it is his teeth though. When my LO is teething I give him tylenol before bed so he can rest easier.
    blogginmomma

Answer by blogginmomma at 10:42 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Maybe he is hungry? I don't know if you have tried a some rice cereal in his bottle...an old wives tale I guess.....but it freakin' works! Just make the bottle as you normally would with formula and then add rice cereal and fill up his little tummy!! You may get him to sleep for a longer span of time. If he is going to bed at 8 by 3 or 4 he is probably starving. I would give my son a cereal bottle when he woke up around that time and then he would go back to sleep until at least 7. I hope this may help a little bit!!!! I know never getting a full nites sleep can make ya crazy!!!!
    mnmsmommy06

Answer by mnmsmommy06 at 11:50 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• No cereal in bottles, please...it's a choking risk. And any sleep that comes with it is merely coincidental. **smile** (Studies have found that cereal doesn't mean sleep and that it can mean LESS sleep due to blood sugar changes.)

If he's going from 8PM to 3AM, then he IS sleeping through the night...that's a mere five hours. You might consider putting him down later or putting yourself to bed earlier.

But yes, teeth can cause this. Hyland's teething tablets may help.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:56 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• My 9 month old has the same problem. Only he just doesnt sleep at daycare.
    mommyst3

Answer by mommyst3 at 12:37 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I had the same problem. I put oragel (for babies of course) on his gums before bed, as well as a warm bottle of milk, followed by burp, night time bath, comfy bed. Then I let him fall asleep on his own in his crib. If I rocked him, he would wake up wanting to be rocked back, never gave him a bottle in the middle of the night, because then we would wake up expecting to eat (or so I was told from advise). The most I would do if he woke up is rub his back or head and shush him back to sleep and if he was in pain from teething, a little more oragel with out picking him up.
    shellrequen

Answer by shellrequen at 12:42 PM on Mar. 10, 2009