How is it that cannibalism is a regular practice in catholic churches and no one has a problem with it??

In a religious debate group recently I was informed (by a catholic) that she BELIEVES she is consuming the flesh of christ (and the blood) during communion. I think I got that right... has always been very bizarre to me (and my dh) that people do this- then to find out they believe they are eating a person... well- what do you all think? Isn't this cannibalism?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:56 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Personally I think it's creepy but it is not cannibalism because they are not actually eating human flesh.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:40 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• My husbands fam is catholic and they believe it is symbolic, I think that's just a little excentric...
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 10:57 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• its symbolic not literal... if they were really drinking blood and eating flesh there would be a problem
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 10:59 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Its symbolism. For it to be true cannibalism, it would need to literally be flesh and blood.

Catholics are not the only Christians who do something like this. I was raised in a Baptist church, and we did this though the ceremony was a bit different. In my grandmother's church (Church of Christ) it was also practiced. Can't comment on any other denominations as I don't have any personal experience.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:00 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• It's only a representation of Christ... not Cannibalism...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:02 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• This is very funny!
    Anonymous

• What's wrong with the symbolism? You are being very, very prejudiced here. How would people feel if I were to say that all pagans were witches that cast evil spells on unsuspecting innocents? Let's also not forget to say that Muslims are all terrorists that want to blow up or behead infidels. What you are saying in your question is no different than saying those outrageous things. We do NOT sit there and much on a communion host thinking it's Jesus Christ's skin! Now do we sip the wine and think it's really blood. People are so ignorant.
    Anonymous

• Lutherans also partake in communion/ the Eucharist. It's a symbolic thing. In the Bible, during the last supper, Jesus made the bread and the wine to be symbols of the flesh and blood. Some Christians continue on that tradition.
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 11:03 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Yeah- I KNOW it is symbolic- but she said to HER that it wasn't. To me- that is like saying she is ok with consuming a person's flesh. ICK If a person BELIEVES something and it is REAL to them- who are we to say it isn't real?? Just b/c it is grotesque to some (most!) of us... she got all upset when told it was symbolic... just sayin'
    Anonymous

• OP, you're an idiot. I'm sorry, but you are just a troll who is out to bash the Catholic Church. I don't know what this woman said, but I highly doubt she meant she was chewing on Jesus' skin. You are a fool.

Anonymous