Where do babies come from?

I have 2 boys, ages 5 and 7 also I have an 18 month old and when I was pregnant with her, it was a simple answer. Daddy helps put the baby in my tummy and when the baby grows big enough my body says it's time to come out, mommy has a baby . They were cool with this. Now I am pregnant again, and they want more info. Does anyone know of an age appropriate book that actually helps explain things? They want to know how daddy put the baby in there, and how does it get out, and if they can watch. I told them no watching because my tummy squeezes and momy is fine, but I don't want them to see me hurt. The rest I am at a loss. Dh too, so I know this is horrible but I have been avoiding and changing the subject. I know I need to address this I just needed more advice on how. I am fine with all out explaining all but the sex part, but I dont want to scare them either.

AK_aries

Asked by AK_aries at 11:04 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• Okay, so check this out, I am not really a sugar coating type of mom. My son is 7 1/2 and a real thinker. Last year my son read my medical terminology book from school, well, he looked. This is where he learned exactly how a baby comes out of a woman's body! That was kinda a bit of an accident, but we talked about it and I just told him, that is what a woman's body is made for. I don't think your kids will need any of that information though, but I think this next part would be fine. My son was under the assumption that humans come from eggs. I told him that for a baby to happen an egg needs sperm from the dad or it's just an egg. Then we talked about if the sperm and egg come together then a baby is made out of cells that just grow and grow. That's it. He never asked where sperm come from or how they get in there so I am in the clear, and I know I was honest and made a foundation for a talk we will need to have in the future
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 12:24 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• When you figure it out, let us know!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:18 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Maybe I need to rephrase the question, How do I explaine to my older kids when they ask "Where do babies come from?"
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 11:41 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Maybe if they do ask how sperm and egg meet you could tell them it's the chemistry of love! My son loves science so explaining things to him that way makes sense to him. I am also hoping he doesn't ask to watch, I think he would really prefer not to, but wanted to watch my sister have her son last October, lol!
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 12:27 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• At age 7 my son knew about sperm and egg, and how they meet. He knew where babies come out too. If someone says the word sex (he is 11 now) he says ewwwe gross that is how you get babies.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 12:53 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• This is what I told my little sister and borther (then 6 &5). There is a I Want a baby hotline. The daddy calls them (since the sperm determines the sex) and tell them exactly what he wants. Ex: A boy with brown eyes curly hair and dimples or a girl with hazel eyes soft brown hair and rosy cheeks or some parents just say SURPRISE ME! Once the order is in they wait about a week and a little tablet shaped like a egg comes. The mom swallows the tablet with a glass of water. Once swallowed the tablet will become attached to the stomach and the baby will begin to grown. When the baby needs more room and decides to come out, the mommy will then push the baby out of her body and thus a baby is born!! They totally brought it. But that was 5 yrs ago so they know the truth now
    jjsmommi5

Answer by jjsmommi5 at 1:08 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• you should not lie to your kids
    mudgirl

Answer by mudgirl at 3:01 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• You should just tell them. It wioll help them in the long run. YOu don't want them asking and learning wrong things at school.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:45 PM on Mar. 18, 2009