How old was your child when they got a toddler bed?

My family is moving within the next few months. My son is 16 months old, which is probably a little young for a big boy bed. I don't know, this is my 1st child. The crib he has now is horrible! The side doesn't drop down like most and the mattress is wayy down low so it puts a huge strain on my back. I was thinking that when we moved instead of taking that bed (or buying another extremely expensive crib) we could just get him a toddler bed with rails. At walmart they have a few for about $50, which is way cheaper than any crib I've ever seen. Is it crazy to think about even putting him in a toddler bed already? Thanks for the input!

Krystal.Ingalls

Asked by Krystal.Ingalls at 11:33 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• no go for it just get one with the rails
    Anonymous

• my oldest was out of the crib at 14-15 months . I was due with my second babby when he was 17 months oold and I read a few places to move the 2st one out of the crib a couple months before the baby came so the older child wouldn't feel like the new baby was pushing him out f his bed. So we made the transition between 14 and 15 months.

I forget with my second. My 3rd was born when he (the 2nd) was 19 months but at about 15 months he refused to sleep in the crib and he slept on the couch.

my 3rd/youngest liked his crib and was in it until after 2.

get the rails and set it up with the crib still set up and just have him try it at nap time, giving him the option and encourage as an option at bed,but let him have both choices for a while
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 11:52 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Mine is 31 months and still happily in her cirb. She has a toddler bed but doesn't want to sleep in it yet.
    Should you switch? Every child is different. MIne would have been into everything at all hours of the night, she would have stopped napping, it would have been a nightmare. But that's mine.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:29 AM on Mar. 10, 2009