How do I stop the temper tantrums?

My son is 15 months and he is perfect with nana and daddy and uncle but when it comes to me everything is a huge fight. he was such a happy baby and so good and then he started walking. I have spanked him i have done time out it seems to work but he screams for ever. i feel like he hates me, anyone has any ideas that might work.

tsflnangel

Asked by tsflnangel at 11:42 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would spend some time observing the interaction between him and the people you listed. How do they talk to him, how do they react to him. Are they doing something different than how you do it?

and also ask his nana. Ask her for her ideas. she obviously does some that works.

I would ignore him, walk past him, etc. pretend he's not there when is acting that way.

Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 11:55 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• let him know that throwing a tantrum doesn't work! when you put him in time out and he starts screaming, ignore him. show him no attention whatsoever. it might get aggravating but eventually he'll get the point.
    exxOHjackie

Answer by exxOHjackie at 11:55 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• First, you need to know that he LOVES you. He acts rotten around you because you make him feel safe and loved. He knows he can push the limits with you, that he'll be safe and cared for even if you get angry.
    Second, time outs do work but at this young age, it takes time. Here's how I suggest you do them:
    Pick a time out spot. It can be a corner, the bottom step on the stairs, the middle of the floor, his playpen. But NO TOYS, NO TV and do NOT use his crib or room.
    When he throws a fit, take him to his time out spot.
    Stay in his sight, do not leave the room, but do not talk to him or look at him. Pretend to read a book, write a shopping list, anything. But do not give him any attention, good or bad.
    Let him throw as long and loud a fit as he wants. He has a right to feel upset, to work his emotions out.

-cont-
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:03 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• After he is calm again, pick him up and hug him. Thank him for calming down. Say three short sentences on this pattern:
    I know you were angry when I took the remote away.
    Remotes are not toys.
    Lets find a fun toy to play with instead.
    Then follow through and play with him for a few minutes.

If he breaks a rule or is about to break a rule, warn him once. If he does it anyway, use time out. At his age, you can give him a minute. Add a half minute at 18 months. Let him throw his fit. Once he is calm, set a timer for his time-out time. Once the timer rings, continue as above with thanking him for calming down, etc. The critical thing is that time doesn't start until he is done throwing his fit.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:11 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• My son will be an angel for everyone, and only act out with me. Easy explanation: I'm also the one who enforces the rules so he is testing his boundaries. When he throws a tantrum I leave the room (or if were at the park or somewhere else I walk away) and say "come get me when your done". It usually works, just remember that ANY attention is considered "good" attention to a toddler. Good luck!
    alexsmom713

Answer by alexsmom713 at 12:48 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• thanks to all who answered im going to try it today and see how it goes. feel free to add me as a friend.
    tsflnangel

Answer by tsflnangel at 12:47 PM on Mar. 10, 2009