preschool or no

has everyones child attended preschool or will they if they are currently too young? why did you enroll them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:48 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• Mine will. She'll be 3 in the fall and I'm hoping to put her in preschool for 2 half days a week.

Why? For the interaction with other kids, to learn how to function in a school enviornment, to learn things that I can not teach her - sharing with other kids, listening to the teacher, having to stick to a schedule and not just free play. I'm hoping her school focuses on play and fun. I can easily teach her the ABC's, 123's, colors, shapes, even to read and add. I don't want her sitting and doing workbooks or other "learning drills". She has way too many years of that soul killing form of education ahead of her. I want this early school experience to be fun and creative, to build a solid foundation for a life-long love of learning.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:17 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• My boys did before I decided to homeschool them. My daughter most likely will not be attending preschool.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:48 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• My kids were 3 and potty trained when they went. They needed the socialization and activities and I guess colds/flu that have boosted their immunities.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:49 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I'm going to enroll my son in preschool because I think he will need it. We live in a rural area and he isn't in daycare. He's currently two and by the time he's four he will be begging for preschool!

Besides, I have read that children who go to preschool do better in life.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 11:50 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I will send my son to preschool a few days a week when he's a little older. I am a SAHM and he's an only child, so I think he would benefit from getting to know a group of kids, and learning how to function in a school/group environment, before kindergarten hits. That way he can sort of ease into it more gradually, instead of doing it all at once.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 11:53 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• We don't plan on doing preschool. Our son will get plenty of interaction with other kids through Church functions and family functions.
    There's no longterm benefit. After 3rd or 4th grade, there's no difference in the grades of preschooled versus non-preschooled
    MicahsMom612

Answer by MicahsMom612 at 12:02 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I sent my older two boys to preschool for one year each. My youngest will be going this fall (provided potty training goes well this summer). He goes to Granny's house for daycare and is really only around his brothers for other kids. I feel he needs to learn some social skills with kids his own age and the work on academic stuff will be nice too, but for us it's mostly the social skills and appropriate classroom behaviour.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:15 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I will put DD in preschool when she is 3. I went to preschool when I was 3, I feel that it is highly beneficial for children to go to preschool. It prepares them for school.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 12:31 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I will probably put my youngest in preschool, but not my older children. I can teach them just as much at home. But I think my youngest will feel left out when her brothers are in school and she's at home all by herself. Also, she won't have anyone to play with at home, so it would be nice for her.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 12:48 AM on Mar. 10, 2009