getting a divorce..............

ok im getting a divorce i have one little boy hes 2 well its a long drawn out story of why were gettting divorced but my 2 year old is having a hard time and not understanding why mommy and daddy arent together in the same house so how do i explain this to a 2 year old?

4lyfe56

Asked by 4lyfe56 at 11:50 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Relationships

• i was seperated for about 4 months and it was tough on my daughter (3yrs). Funny thing, she never asked why. I don't have an answer for that, but I did notice things that helped her adjust. Spending more time doing fun things with her, like the park, art projects, playdates. Filling the void of not seeing him day everyday, with other people instead. We spent a lot of time with her grandparents, and with her friends her age. Keeping her busy with other people and activites helped. Also, trying to understand the loss from her perspective, helped me to be more loving and expect a little less from her. Just giving her more hugs and kisses helped. I would sometimes do that when she was acting out, instead of reacting to it. She would hold me so tight, that I knew it was what she needed. Assure him that mommy isnt leaving. That was a big thing for my daughter too.
    Allie428

Answer by Allie428 at 7:20 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I'd ask a pediatrician or consult a child psych book. I don't know but I have a friend going through this w/ same age child. Expect tantrums but just try to really be there and have patience.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:52 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• How hearthbreaking :(

I wish I had some advice. My parents divocred when I was about 5 or 6 and that was hard too. Just make sure he knows he loved to pieces by both parents.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:53 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• oh hes been doing this before we separated
    4lyfe56

Answer by 4lyfe56 at 11:53 PM on Mar. 9, 2009