How do you choose your babies last name ?

This is ridiculous ..but my boyfriend and I plan on getting married..However certian situations stop us from that happening right now..If I put my daughter ( due july7th) with his last name nothing bad can happen from that right ? I am a new mom and have no idea how these things work...

babymomma4

Asked by babymomma4 at 11:56 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• What is a baby momma anyway? You are a mother. That is degrading yourself. You should give the child it's fathers last name.
    Anonymous

• no, nothing bad will happen, it would even give your child a sense of normalcy provided you arent married when your baby starts school. Children generally have their fathers last name, and this way yours wouldnt feel excluded. However, there are situations where i dont think its necessary, such as an absent father. But thats not your case. My babies have their daddy's last name, we are getting married on oct.24th, so just a few less last names to change.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 11:58 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• i was in a similar situation when i was pregnant with my son. i gave him his dads last name because we were going to be getting married. two months later he left our son home alone while i was at work to hang out with his other girlfriend (i obviously didnt know he had one). He really doesnt have anything to do with our son but i cant change his last name without his dads permission, which he wont give. so... i guess it depends on the situation. if you give the baby your last name you can always change it later.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 12:12 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• traditionally the child would take her father's name.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 12:22 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• First you should check your state policy. Believe it or not there are some states that will not allow you to give baby dad's last name if you aren't married. Arizona is on of them, found out the hard way.
    anorman08

Answer by anorman08 at 12:25 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• If you are scared that something bad will happen if you give your child her father's last name than why are you marrying the guy? What could possibly be bad about giving your child her father's name?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• NOTHING bad will happen, it is up to you. And Anon that was talking crap, get over yourself, what about women who are married, is it degrading to take your husbands name and give it to your children. I mean really come on.
    clovismommy25

Answer by clovismommy25 at 12:52 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• go ahead and give her his last name, i gave my daughter her dad's last name, even though we aren't together anymore, and nothing bad can happen : )
    Trinity32188

Answer by Trinity32188 at 1:02 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• That's a very personal decision for you to make. Nothing bad will happen if you give your baby his last name. However, if you are uncomfortable doing so because you're not married yet, there's nothing wrong with that. You'll just have to go through the annoying process of name change later though.

If I was unmarried but in a committed relationship headed towards marriage, I would give my child his last name. If I was unsure of how long my relationship might last, I would give my child my last name. I have a friend whose child's father is abscent. Her daughter constantly gets asked why she and her mom have different last names. I wouldn't want my kid to have to go through that when there dad doesn't even talk to them but a few times per year. That's just ME though. You need to do what you feel is best.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:11 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• My kids' last names are hyphenated, but that's because I hyphenated my name when I married dh 18 years ago. They're legally Plyler-Jones, but they just write Jones on their school papers. It's a pain sometimes since I don't know whether their doctor/dentist files them under P or J!
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 6:12 AM on Mar. 10, 2009